Reload this Page >

Photos to postcards

Search

Photos to postcards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Tamara

Photos to postcards

We just got pictures from our trip to Paris. Some of them are simply fantastic and we are thinking that it would be a great idea to transfer them to post cards and send them from Paris during our next trip in October. If you have any suggestions how to do it please share them with me

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:08 PM
GeorgeW

Kinko's will make them for you if you do not have the equipment on your computer.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Q.P.

One cheap and easy way...some photo supply stores sell a packet of 3 x 5 or 4 x 6 white postcard labels that you just peel off and stick onto the back of your pictures. All you need then is the message, address, and stamp. <BR> <BR> Even cheaper: I've been getting and sending photo postcards for years, including many to and from overseas (I'm in the U.S.), that are just photos with writing on the back. Because the backs of photos tend to be slick most pens will smear, I always take along a Sharpie brand "ultra fine-point" permanent marker--the same pen I use for computer disk labels. It works great for this purpose, never smears. Draw a line down the middle, put the message on left side and the address on the right, add postage, and from what I've seen most post offices will have no problem with it. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Linda

I assume you are writing from the USA. If so, the US Postal Service has no problems with you using a photo as a post card. As a matter of fact, you can mail just about anything, as long as it's not flammable, an illegal substance, etc. You could even mail, with no wrappings, a shirt (for example), as long as it has a legible address and has the proper postage firmly attached. I've seen unwrapped tires go through the mail, musical instruments in their cases, mufflers, and some other things you would just shake your head at (including an un-boxed, unwrapped shoe). Now, whether the French system will accept the picture is another matter, but my instinct is that, since it a picture is so much like a postcard already, there will be no problem. Just make sure your pen will write on the back without smearing and that it will not bleed through and ruin the picture on the other side.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 02:42 AM
Gretchen

There are also 4X6 cards that you can attach your photos to for a more substantial backing.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 07:13 AM
clairobscur

<BR> <BR> I used these postcard labels QP is refering to to send pictures as postcards. Convenient though quite costly if you send a lot of them. <BR> <BR> And what Linda says about US postal service is true here too. I already meet someone who was a member of some sort of club : these people were making a sport of mailing the weirdest possible items unwrapped, and trying to find the weirdest posible way to write the adress and stick the stamps. <BR> <BR> So, I suppose sending your pictures as they are shouldn't be a problem, though I would prefer to stick them on something, for the ease of mind.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:24 AM
elvira

Avery (and I bet a bunch of other companies as well) make sticky paper 8 1/2"x11" that's cheaper than the pre-cut postcard backings (you can fit 4 4x6 or 6 3x5 on each sheet) to turn your existing photos to postcards. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Robin

In addition to the press-on cards, which work great, I am intrigued with a web site that will make cards for you and mail them, if you can upload your photos on the road. It is www.cardstore.com. I've never used it, but apparently you get your file to the site, type a message which they print on the card (not your own handwriting!), and then send the card to your friends or family. It looks very cool. Each card is not cheap, but when you consider that the postage will be 20 cents, instead of international rates, since it is actually sent from within the US, it isn't too expensive. I hope to try it soon.