Search

Photos from Italy, May 2007: Lake Como, Venice, Florence, Val d'Orcia, Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos from Italy, May 2007: Lake Como, Venice, Florence, Val d'Orcia, Rome

Hello everyone

I took my Mom to Italy for 15 days in May. We spent time on Lake Como, in Venice, Florence, the Val d'Orcia, and Rome. I still haven't written a trip report. I've sorted through my photos for personal use - I made each of us a great photo book of the trip (80 pages, with nearly 300 photos) and framed various ones for my walls at home... but no trip report.

I do plan to write one (really I do) but for now I'll just put up a few photos. We had a wonderful time - we went ballooning again too, leaving from Montisi which is in the Val d'Orcia. I had done that last year - and managed to talk some people into going, after that experince - my Mom included.

Enjoy my photos, and I'll write a trip report at some point - with even more photos, later. I'll come back here later with some explanations of the photos too.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-ubf13j
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Howdy sweetie!!!
Love, love, love your images....what beautiful light!
Some of the Venezia locations are a mystery to me...I guess I'll have to go on a treasure hunt in November!!
Thank you thank you....thank you!!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM

The Italian lake pictures were so gorgeous! I'll be looking forward to your report--especially the ballooning details.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, glad you liked them!

Here is my last year's report, with ballooning details - I'll let you know once I've written this year's report too.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...alloon+flygirl

Linda, happy hunting! By the way, I have a little pressie for you, I'll pop it in the mail before I leave for Colorado.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Very nice work--you have a great eye.
I am curious what editing software you use.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Very impressive! I was wondering when you were going to post a link. I look forward to seeing more from your trip as well as the ones from the upcoming Balloon Festival in New Mexico.

Tom
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Hey Bob, thanks! You've seen most of these photos before - I posted them on slowtalk over the summer. I like that you can post the photos right in the text, there - very easy to tell a story then. Here is that link for anyone else who may be interested:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...053#4631043053

I only had Picasa (free download! and very limited) but after showing some of my photos to a few pro-photographers they told me I should think about getting serious with my photos.

So, I recently bought PS Elements, which is still in the box next to the instruction book I bought with it. (of course). Currently hoping to break it open over the winter sometime... another expensive bloody hobby.

For this batch I posted here, I downsized them using the editor that MS office bundles (Picasa doesn't have a file size reducer for some reason) and I think I really overdid it. The files are now so small I'm not happy with how they look on the kodak link.

Tom, thank you - I'm so glad you like them! I've always enjoyed your pbase galleries.

I'm going to add some more photos to this set later too.

Hopingtotravel - many of the Lake Como ones I posted I took from our balcony at the Eremo Gaudio. It's so high up you need two funiculars to get to your room! What a unique treat that hotel is. I took a little tripod on this trip (from Olegis' advice here - the Manfrotto 709) and wow did that make a difference. The one photo from our balcony which looks like daylight but for all the lights on over the mountains? That was after sunset but I had my shutter open for something like 15 seconds. The night ferry photo was also similar - at least 15 seconds.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Fabulous photos!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

I had posted earlier about using a tripod - some of the photos in here benefited from using one (the night shots). I used a Canon SD800IS which has an IS lens but that still isn't a sub for a tripod.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks for that quick picture-tour. Better than nothing on this 1st day of October. Now to let the melancholy of not going to Italy this year (or for too many years since last time) turn into motivation to work hard and get back soon.

I've never been in a hot-air balloon, but now I know where it will happen ... and the farmer, the dog, the wine. Fantastico.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM

bookmarking beautiful picks!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I just came across this thread. flygirl, your photos are magnificent!