photography fees in Turkey

Feb 7th, 2001, 09:23 AM
cb

photography fees in Turkey

Does Turkey really charge fees for taking pictures or videos in museums and archaeological sites, for personal use only ?
I think I saw it mentioned in some brochures I read. Thanks.

Feb 7th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Patrick

Spent a lot of time in Turkey this past summer and took a lot of pictures and I never heard of such a thing there. On the other hand, in the salt mines near Krakow, Poland, I needed to buy a special permit (about a dollar or two, as I recall) if I wanted to take any pictures inside. Some of the others in our small group said they had recently run into that same thing several places -- but again no one mentioned Turkey.

Feb 7th, 2001, 04:13 PM
alan

Hi We were in Turkey this fall and found no extra charges for photographing sites. As the other writer mentioned we did have to pay in Krakow and several other places in eastern europe ocassionally.
alan

Feb 13th, 2001, 09:50 AM
cb

Thanks. It was mentioned in one of the brochures I picked up at the Turkish Tourism office in NY City.

Feb 13th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Paulo

The only site in Turkey I remember there's a charge for picture taking is Dolmabahce Palace in Istanbul.
Paulo

Feb 13th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Joanna

I have found that sometimes books are not always accurate in regard to photography fees. Generally fees will be charged for flash photography.

I was amazed to read before my 1987 trip to Egypt that one had to pay ten Egyptian pounds to photograph exterior sites in Alexandria. When we were there, we heard nothing about it at all and merrily snapped away.

Feb 15th, 2001, 02:15 PM
George Holt

At one time you had to pay all over Turkey to use your camera. Then they made stills free and charged for movies, now perhaps most places have dispensed with photo charges entirely. Some places will forbid any photography of any sort.

The most notable place where photography was absolutely forbidden was Ani. This is out on the eastern border with the USSR (then, now I guess Georgia or Armenia) and the Russian border guards got twitchy if you pointed anything at them. You had to deposit all your luggage and equipment at the local army base before going on to the site (this was in the mid 1980s).