Reload this Page >

What will I find at Lands End

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:20 PM
vicki

We will be taking day trips from Oxford and my brother wants to drive to Lands End. Any information on sights, things to do would be appreciated.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:36 PM
John

Vicki, it's a very long drive from Oxford to Land's End for a day trip, around 5 hours or so using motorways. Drive most of the day, get there. Stop. Look. Water. Cliffs. Souvenir places. Eat a pasty. Get back in the car, start driving.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Patrick

Vicki, John has said it all. We were driving around the coast at that point and just HAD to make the rather short detour to Land's End. I tried to make it feel really great and important to stand at this westernmost point of Britain, but knowing that Ireland was still further west didn't help, and the drifting smell of what seemed to be some rancid hot dogs (were they looking for us Americans?) blunted any sense of history of the moment. I think we bought a couple of postcards and left. I guess buying the postcards was the highlight of our visit. There are far more interesting and scenic places in that entire area.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Karen

I remember being very disappointed in Lands End...not pretty, commercial stands with uninteresting stuff for sale. You could do alot better in the Cotswolds or Devon or other places in <BR>Cornwall. I agree it is a very long drive just to see Lands End.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Thyra

Vicki, though I agree with the above in terms of Lands End (they built this sort of tacky touristy "theme park-like" place there which is not that hot. Cornwall itself is great. Lots of ancient megoliths, which, unlike Stonehenge are just sitting right out in the middle of fields alone. Tintagel castle is in Cornwall, and through some describe Titagel as tacky, if you are into King Arthur at all it's really quite interesting. Penzance and St. Ives are also worth a visit, and Mount St. Michael...with the castle audio tour is really fun.