travel board does not want their address
published beleive is is perfectly alright
to use one with xxxxxx's, but really have
a problem when one composes an address that
appears to be a good address, but is not,
invalid...Sometimes questions when being
answered can not be answered by a note and
it is more practical to send a page with the
information on, amd then have it returned?
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Jul 31st, 2001, 02:31 PM
JOdy

Hi Richard,

I had been using a REAL email address and then I found I was getting literally 50-75 unwanted emails(spam)a week! . I have 2 yahoo accounts , one for my ebay business and 1 for fodor's. I get practically none on the ebay address. Someone suggested adding "nospam" in the middle of your real address and if someone wants to contact you, they would know to eliminate that part, it seems to be working. They expalined that spammers just copy ( from somewhere I don't know where) and don't check. whatever they do adding the no spam seems to have helped the situation.

Jul 31st, 2001, 02:33 PM
Linda

Richard, I sometimes agree with you. One way around it is to have the person seeking information e-mail you directly. You can then respond with the correct information, either typed in the response or attached to it. (By the way, I've made lots of friends this way!) There are those who are loathe to print their real e-mail addresses because of the spam they say they receive. I, personally, haven't had that problem. I do wish, sometimes. that this world was "nice" enough that we wouldn't have to worry about that kind of thing.

Jul 31st, 2001, 03:11 PM
Betsy

Just started using the "nospam.com" option at the suggestion of someone on this forum a few weeks ago. Was that you, JOdy?

Jul 31st, 2001, 03:25 PM
JOdy

Hi Betsy,
It wasn't me, but I wish I could thank whoever did it! The daily total is down from about 15-20 per day, I also learned how to block addresses so that also eliminates some who already have the info.

Jul 31st, 2001, 04:56 PM
ohoh

I think xxxs are fine, also use something that is obviously NOT a real address. I do use my real address on posts most of the time, and have been fortunate NOT to get spammed except for that guy who was trying to sell his artwork via email, but he stopped after I asked him not to mail to me. And I didn't even have to insult his art, which was rather mediocre.

Jul 31st, 2001, 05:43 PM
XXX

Hello Richard, I think you got an apology on the question you might be referring to. You may have been inconvenienced, but it seems to be an unintentional mistake. You don't see apologies on this site often.

Jul 31st, 2001, 05:59 PM
richard j vicek

Received and thank you very much. This
is not the first time this has happened
and probably will not be the last...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..