Phone to use in Europe

Jun 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Phone to use in Europe

We are going to Europe for 10 days would like to take a phone with us that we can use in Europe. We are from America and have Verizon Account. How should we proceed.
Jun 28th, 2010, 09:12 AM

1. Call Verizon ASAP. Your current Verizon phone will probably not work in Europe. They will (for a fee) send you a phone that you can use in Europe and will have your US number forwarded to it. When you return from your trip you send it back. You will pay higher costs but it is the easiest option.

2. Buy an unlocked quad band phone (ebay is a good source) then buy a local SIM in the country you will visit. Costs will be lower but you will hassle with getting the phone and the SIM, and anyone who wants to call you will need to use your European number.
Jun 29th, 2010, 02:10 AM

Hello!

It will really be much more expensive and a hassle for you to get a phone from Verizon that you can use over here. If it is not that important to you to have your same phone number, I would highly suggest buying a cheap phone once you get over here. You will probably want a prepaid phone- in Spain (not sure about other countries) these phones only cost about 19 euros and you can reload them with minutes almost anywhere, so they are very convenient. Also, if you want to speak to people at home, I would suggest calling them from Skype off of your computer- this is a MUCH cheaper and very easy option as the costs are the same as calling from one American phone to another American phone, instead of calling internationally.

Have a great trip!

Jenna

Lifestyle Barcelona
Jun 29th, 2010, 09:04 AM

You have 3 main options, and the type of calls you intend to make will make a big difference.

Option 1 - call Verizon and for a small fee, they'll send you a global phone that you can transfer over to your phone number for the duration of your trip. Downside - $1.49/minute for calls. If all you need this for is "emergency" calls, then not a bad option.

Option 2 - get a phone in Europe. Cheap up front, and cheap calls. Downside, you may need to swap out SIM cards for different countries, and you will not have your normal phone number.

Option 3 - bring a netbook or notebook computer and use Skype. Very cheap, and you can use the computer for other uses. Downside - extra bulk, and you need internet access.

I got back yesterday from an 18-day trip (Ireland, London, Paris, Brussels), and I went with option 1 and 3. My daughter and I each carried a Verizon loaner phone for emergencies (calling each other if we got separated, etc...). For calling home, we used Skype on my little netbook computer. This was a great option. Very cheap, and we never had problems tracking down an internet connection (every placed we stayed at either had free or very reasonably priced internet access). As a bonus, we could look up info for the next day's activities, stay in touch with friends via social media, manage all of our photos, etc... Of all my travel gear, the netbook was the best piece of gear I brought with me...
Jun 30th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Hello,
we have just returned from Spain from 12-day trip and our daughter rece just got back from one month trip. She took her old Razor phone and bought Sim card there , got an unlock code from AT&Tprior to departure. Call Verizon to see if they can unlock phone and buy Sim card abroad.
In Spain you can get phone with Sim for about 20 euros (incoming calls and texts are free).
Skype works great, for calls and chat.
If you have itouch download text plus from itunes and use it
for free texting over wifi.
Have fun
Jun 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
mjs

We bought some unlocked cellphones in London a few years ago for less than $10 each + 10 pounds for each SIM. Saw some phones a few weeks ago for about $6 + SIM (min 10 pounds/SIM) Pay as you go SIMs available from a number of different carriers. The SIM's generally start at 5 pounds to top off by internet and you can top off in 5 pound increments. Cost for use of phone on our plan was 25p/minute within the UK, 7p/min to the USA and 40p/min for use in Europe. The pay as you go SIMs are good for 3 months before they expire. Can buy SIM cards in other countries if you are going to use the phone a lot in that country for better rates. We never bring our cell phones abroad.
Jul 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM

I've used a phone from callineurope.com for 3 trips to Europe and love it's simplicity and ease of use... I have a phone when I land, calls are reasonably priced and no calling credit to run out of in the midst of a call.
Jul 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM

I use RangeRoamer. Calls are not cheap, about 69 cents a minute, but it's good all over the world and it can be set to top off your dollars, via credit card, automatically. The issue comes down to just how much you are going to be calling while on vacation. This year we made 3 calls. Two to the housekeeper of our rental house and one to VISA when they denied a purchase to convince them it really was me. Last year we made more, but less than $25 worth.

They also will provide you an 800# so friends in the US can call you for free. Its free for the first 30 days and $3.99 each 30 days after.

Voicemail is provided and all you pay for is the call.

Calls are free to see if you have voice messages or to check your balance or customer service.

One thing about us is we use Tracfones at home. We use them basically for emergency only but in any case we use less than 250 minutes a year! So for us until Tracfone works overseas, this is a great deal. We bought the Rangeroamer phone two years ago and have spent less than $50 in calls.

Just an idea that might benefit people with little need to chat with friends in the US while climbing Pisa's steps.
Jul 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM

I bought a cheap phone from Mobal. It works anywhere in Western Europe and bills by the minute. Not the cheapest option, but very convenient for occasional calls.
Jul 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM

I was told that a Blackberry Storm from
Verizon will work in Europe. Can anyone verify this?
Jul 1st, 2010, 04:08 PM

Please check out this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-europe.cfm