Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

phone card--who's up to date on this topic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
amelia

We're leaving for Scotland in a few weeks for a biking trip, and we're taking along one of my daughter's 13-year-old buddies. For safety, we want both of them to have a phone card and/or phone PIN on their persons at all times. Since the "guest" would probably like to call the US during our 10-day stay several times, her phone card will be used for international and domestic use. We parents will need to make calls back home, too.

Last year in Ireland, we quickly found that our preferred type of card in Italy and France--the telecharge "plug the darn thing in the phone and just call home"--was quite impractical. We spent a lot of wasted time trying to find the right type of phone.

I figured I'd bring myself up-to-date and research before we left. Goodness gracious! I was simply stunned by the number of websites, the fine print, devoted to phone cards on the net. And after two hours of reading, I'm no further off.

I figured that this forum (the All-Knowing, Been-There, Done-That Within the Past 365 Days) would be my best resource.

Here are my questions:

Do you recommend my ordering one before we leave for Scotland?
Should we use the card type or the PIN type?
Any brand you recommend?

Ever grateful,

Amelia

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you speaking about prepaid cards? We have found them for sale just about everywhere from gas stations to grocery stores. They worked like the cards one can purchase in the U.S. Sold for varying amounts of time or money and good for local or international calls. They can be used at any public phone booth. Excuse me for this reply if you're refering to cards for Cell phones.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
amelia

No, Rocco, I'm not talking about SIM cards.

I know I can get the phone cards everywhere. I would like to know which one to buy: which type and which brand; before we leave or when we get there. I have been doing rate comparisons all morning, etc, and reading traveler advisory info such as "check to see if there is a surcharge for payphone connection" and "add to the rates your roundup fee" etc. My head is spinning.

So in effect, at the end of two hours, I thought--"Hmm, someone on Fodor's just went through all this information and found the best card for the best rate and can review."

Old May 29th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Hy !
I have a link for you www.enlinea.com
Using a Pin number, from anywhere in the world, and CHEAPER for SURE, check on the rates page so you can see how much you pay for the calls.
I hope this helps
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:57 PM

At a typical corner store, there are so many brands of phone cards that it's hard to recommend one. Plus, their names change. Wherever you are, just ask the store clerk for his recommendation.

They've all worked for me so far. Note that you don't have to buy a separate card for each person. If you copy down the contact information and code, then you just need that slip of paper and can effectively share the card among you. However, I would check the card right after you get it to make sure it works properly.
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:49 AM
amelia

WillTravel: Brilliant suggestion regarding pin number. I'm going to have to be giving them index cards with the guides'anyway, so you're right.

I had asked clerks suggestions as to the cards in Ireland and would typically receive a shrug. Perhaps I'll get stronger opinions in Scotland.