Cheapets way to call home?

May 16th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Cheapets way to call home?

Anyone use calling cards or other inexpensive methods to call back to the US from Europe? I have a company card, but it costs $1 per minute - I think it's got to be better than that. . .
May 16th, 2003, 09:52 AM

Pickup an international calling card when you get to your destination. They are all over. Newspaper shops, etc. Then use a pay phone. It's dirt cheap.
May 16th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Our cheapest long distant bills ever were using regular phone booths in Spain that accepted regular credit cards. Not calling cards, and not "Special" credit card phones (we saw those too, but their rates were more expensive). This was a few years back, so I don't know if they still have those type phones. I know we had to look around for them. We would call home and our office frequently speaking anywhere from 5-20 minutes, and it was never more than a few bucks. In France the cheapest way we've experienced is buying their pre-paid phone cards (you purchase the minutes) at any Tabac. Actually, I think that all (or most) French phone booths require the cards or a phone card (not accepting cash). The French phone card is cheaper than American calling card rates.
May 16th, 2003, 09:57 AM
jor

The Wal-Mart card is about 68 cents per minute from the UK and has no extra fees.
May 16th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Check your lodgings' phone policy. We needed to make long distance calls from 2 of our hotels, and neither had any service or extra charges of any kind, so it was no more expensive than calling overseas from home. These were both smaller, family-owned hotels.
May 16th, 2003, 04:14 PM

Yes, check the hotel rates. Sometimes they extort, but our last hotel, http://www.arts-residence-paris.com/.../Frameset.html, in Paris just charged us their cost. I called my kids every night for a week and my bill was only around $25.00 Much more convenient and comfortable than a phone booth.
May 16th, 2003, 05:58 PM

We use IDT cards, paying much less than a buck a minute.

Before you leave you need to get their access number in every country you plan to visit.

Check http://www.idt.net It doesn't tell you their rates from countries in Europe to the US, so you'll have to call them and ask.