Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pet friendly hotels in Provence and beyond

Jul 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

I have narrowed my itinerary down and now I am interested in specific little towns and hotels that are pet friendly. If you have any special restaurants, I would love to hear about those too!

So, I need pet friendly hotels around:
Turin/Piedmonte
Les Baux/Saint Remy de Provence
Carcassone
Pau
Leon or Northern Spain away from the maddening crowds that will be beaching it!
and finally, the Douro region of Portugal

Thanks in advance!
Jan
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about a dog ?
Most hotels in the Les Baux/St Remy area will accept small dogs - larger dogs sometimes require a small fee. If you look on the websites for the towns you're looking at, you can check the hotels to see if they accept pets.

Patricia
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I'm curious, is Italy as dog friendly as France is?
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:16 PM

In a recent jaunt with the flannerpooch, we found he was as welcome as we were more or less everywhere in France - including every hotel we tried to book, and every proper cafe or restaurant. The only eateries that wouldn't have him were motorway service stations, which he (rightly) thinks was a blessing. We also found he was universally accepted in restaurants in Northern Spain, though we didn't look at hotels there.

For planning purposes, in France assume all hotels are dog friendly, though there will obviously be exceptions. By "friendly" I don't just mean the dogs are let into your room. I mean the management will fawn over the beast to a degree that will embarrass even a hardened tart like our attention-seeking prima donna.
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/yprtkw, www.hotdogholidays.com and www.petplanet.co.uk. There are other sites out there which list hotels which are dog friendly.
Make sure you protect your pooch against ticks, sandflies and heartworm.
You may find these of interest too http://tinyurl.com/yq33en
http://tinyurl.com/2zdasv
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Did I mention that I need these hotels for next week? Nothing like waiting until the last minute in high season! <) France is not so much of an issue with dogs. I have found that most of the hotels I am interested in accept them for a nominal charge. So far, I have booked:
1) La Corte Agriturismo in Asti, Italy
2) La Magnaneraie in villeneuve-les-Avignon.
I am still looking for Carcassone, Pau and Leon area, as well as the Douro in Northern Portugal. I have found that both Spain and Portugal are much less accepting of dogs than the other countries in Europe.

Loves2sing, Italy isn't quite as wonderful with dogs as France is. They are better with kids, though.

Hetismij, Flash is current on everything! And his passport is in order. Thank you!
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM

Glad to hear it! I've come across a couple of dogs lately that were infected with Leishmania whilst on holiday with their owners, so I try to inform other dog owners of the dangers. One dog is being treated for it, the other one had to be put down
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Original Poster

We have just moved to Portugal and Leishmania is endemic down there. Nasty disease. I had never heard about it prior to moving there. Good for you for spreading awareness.