Dog Friendly Hotels France

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog Friendly Hotels France

Hi there

We will be arriving in Cherbourg and making our way to Ax les Thermes, so will have to stop overnight. Can anyone recommend a hotel which allows dogs to stay overnight on that route? Thanking you for your help.
Takaerao
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM

I wouldn't tackle the question that way.

Assume ALL hotels in France are dog-friendly, then find a hotel or hotels that meet YOUR needs - not to mention the dog's tolerance of being cooped up in a car.

You're 80-90% certain to find that hotel's happy to have dogs - even in the restaurant, and even if the hotel's a member of a chain that routinely doesn't accept dogs in your own country.

If you hit on one of the minority of French hotels that don't take dogs, just try no 2 on your list. But whenever we ask "Are dogs OK?" we always get a surprised "Mais oui, bien sur"
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Flanneruk

I know that the hotels are very ammenable with dogs, but knowing our luck we would hit on one that is not. So just trying to shortlist from others previous experiences on this particular route. All info greatly appreciated. Thanks again,
Takaerao
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:55 AM

Campanile is a good choice. I take my dogs (big Labs)there often and there's no problem. I like this hotel since it's normally ground level. You can bring your car next to your door.

My wife competes with dogs and she stays at Campanile too. Another choice is Etape Hotel.

A good tip. If you call Campanile and make your reservations, you will pay X euros but if you contact Campanile internet, look for the best prices and save about 20% to 30% cheaper.

One more tip. If you're driving down to Ax les Thermes, book the hotel before and make sure you have enough time to make the place you're planned. Driving and hoping on finding a hotel after 6:00 pm is hopeless.

Campanile has a decent restaurant on site so you don't have to drive around trying forage your meal. The breakfasts are good too.

Have a good drive.

Blackduff
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM

Well, you could do worse than the Manoir de Beauvoir at Mignaloux, about 10 miles south of Poitiers.

We, without asking, got a mini flat, so the pooch slept in our sitting room. More importantly, it's got a golf course and massive other grounds, so he could be let off the lead and get a decent 2-3 mile walk evening and morning. Food's a bit dull, but he sat under our table and the place has got a decent cheese board - so with both us and the waiters giving him cheesy nibbles, he gives the restaurant 3 woofs.

Web access is weird: you have to take your laptop over to the conference rooms, or fork out for web roaming on your mobile. But for the pooch - the most stress-free hotel he's stayed in.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM

ttt
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM

All the big chains like Ibis, Citadines, etc allow dogs. In my experience most hotels allow dogs in France.

flanneruk is right. Find the hotel or hotels you want/need. Go from there.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM

Hi

If you stayed somewhere that you can recommend we would be happy to hear about it. We are looking for good places that people can stay while travelling with pets across Europe. Also if anyone has any dog stories or articles we would be happy to publish them, naming the author and putting a link back. The info in this post is the kind of first hand knowledge that we would like for our websites www.thepawsociety.co.uk and www.dogfriendly.co.uk

Thanks,
Justin