Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Personal experience with babysitting agencies

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Jennifer

I have plenty of names and phone numbers of babysitting services in Paris (the best source I found was in Cadogan's "Take the Kids to Paris").

However, what I'd really like to know is has anyone here ever used any of the agencies there? I'm looking for personal recommendations that you've employed.

Btw, I'm speaking about short-term babysitting -- just a day or evening.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
topper

topping

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:44 PM
xxx

You're willing to trust your child with a stranger? You've got to be kidding. It doesn't make any difference how thorough the screening is for an agency or caretaker, you'd be crazy to do it. If something happens, what are you going to do. In this case, you need to be an alarmist with unknown people. Take responsibility for your child and either leave the child at home or don't take your eyes off him/her.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Natalie

I have to agree with the other poster. I would never leave my child with a hotel babysitter--in the U.S. or a foreign country. We tried it in the U.S. and it was a horrible experience. Not only was my son in a strange place, he was with a stranger and he freaked. We usually go out one night without our son when we go to the UK and we only leave him with family. Granted, we're there visiting family so it's easy for us, but if it weren't for them, I'd always just take him with us. Why wreck your trip by freaking the kids out? Kids are out all over Europe at all hours of the day and night. Much more so than in the U.S. Just too many weirdos out there no matter how much they've been screened. I wouldn't chance it!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Jennifer

The children are 9 and 12. At home, I wouldn't get a sitter for the 12 year-old, but in a different country, I feel better not leaving her alone.

Is using a reputable agency for older children, albeit in a foreign country, really that dangerous? I realize each country is different, but this would be in Paris.

That's also why I ask if anyone here had personal experience with any agency.

Jennifer