Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

can't decide: Great Britain vs. United Kingdom

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:38 AM
Betty and Billy Jones

Everybody here seems to know so much. We got a lot of help last year when we plant our trip to Scandicnavia. We got a great room with local charm at the high rise Rattison in Amsterdamn, and want to go back to Europe again this time in Summer.

We can't not decide if we should go to Great Britian or the United Kingdom. My husband says that there are more castles in the united kingdom because it has more king-dom's and was united (by Braveheart, wasn't it??). I want to go somewhere great and am not so much into castles and torture chambers and pork pie, so of course I want to get the "GB" stickers for the truck.

Please advise. Which one did you like better?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:44 AM
duh

This guy is too dumb to even write a good trolling question. Overplayed his hand.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:59 AM
Mel

I would suggest going to Great Britian because the United Kingdom isn't a united nor a kingdom, plus it is better to visit someplace that is great!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:07 AM
uhoh

I think you may be happier visiting Great Britain. They speak British there, which is pretty close to English, so you won't have the language problem you might in the United Kingdom. In the UK they use terms like "the royal we" which can be very confusing to the typical tourist: "We are not amused at your attempts to make the palace guard giggle." After a couple of days you feel like you are at odds with the entire country! Yeah, I think Great Britain will be a better choice for you two. It's really great over there!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:53 AM
xxx

Sounds like you should stay in the States and go on a redneck sighting.

Since when is Amsterdam(n) in Scandinavia?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Bobby

Do the serious people who use this site have to put up with this kind of idiotic nonsense? Can't Fodors do something about it?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Betty and Billy Jones

Thank you, U hoh, for the only real response to our travel dilemma. This is the only forum I know where idiot's try to act like someone's real question is not a real question then act like they're all superior just because they might travel more than we do!

That's a shame about we not making the palace guards laugh. Billy is a real hoot when he's wound up, and he got a new Jeff Foxworthy book for his birthday that he wanted to try out over there somewhere. (For those that don't know, Jeff Foxworthy is a great comedidian but he's not know everywhere).

Please only real replys to our questions! We are leaning toward Great Britian since they speak American.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
welcome

So glad you enjoyed your trip to Scandinavia. Did you pick up any good Scandian phrases?

Great Britain would be you best choice I think. Don't forget to bring plenty of Euros (pronounced punts) since ATMs need a 50 digit pin number in GB.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:47 PM
next

If you're there in June, the Queen of the United Kingdom and the Queen of Great Britain will both be celebrating their Golden Jubilees. They will try to outdo each other with the pomp and circumstance of their respective street parties, processions, jousts, and tournaments. Make sure you wear the colour of your chosen side!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:32 PM
Maurice

They're very close - why not see it all - the United Kingdom, Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You can probably get a special deal from you r travel agents; go to both places for the price of none.

Next, we'll be climbing the twin peaks of Kilimanjaro.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:49 PM
elvira

Skip Great Britain and the United Kingdom; they have nothing to offer.

Visit, instead, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. You'll like them. Be sure to get plenty of euros before you go, and a good phrase book.

I'd suggest lots of inoculations before going to Scandinavia; they've recently had an outbreak of lutefisk.

If you rent a car, a drive to Canada is feasible. Get a real taste of Britian (pronounced "wekickedyourbuttsin76"). They'll like that pronunciation, especially in English pubs.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:29 AM
jonh

don't let yourself be fooled by the other messages. I myself had that doubt a couple of years ago, and want to know what I did ? I went to ALABANIA. It is a amazing place and the ALABANESES, are very friendly. they all speak ALABANESKYSKYSKOV, very similar to Canadian, and they all understand American, if you speak slowly and use lots of gestures. To them, if you give them them a finger, they´ll think you're saying - NICE SHOES ! - so...forget UNITED ENGLAND and go 2 ALABANIA

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Betty and Billy Jones

Can we use Ryan's Air to get between Great Britain and the Untied Kingdom? I have read on here that they have flight's for really cheap.

What is a cheeky monkey? Is it one of those monkeys on tv that have a big swollen pink butt? If I call someone a cheeky monkey, is that what it means? Any advice on local language and colloquialisms is greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:13 AM
hip

"In the groove, daddi-o" is the greeting to use when you meet a "beat combo" hanging out in their favorite coffee bar. Don't forget to ask them what items from the "hit parade" they like when "listening in" to the "wireless".

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:42 AM
kate

I think the London Pass gives entry to both GB and the UK, and you can jump the queues.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Millie

Be sure to ask for tea and crumpets everywhere you go.
As you enter every pub,yell out "OY"
When you are in Harrods , curtsey to all salespeople.
Drive on whichever side of the road you want.
Bring a very big bag of bird seed to Trafalgar Square.
While riding on a double decker bus, yell down to the people in the street to smile before you photograph them.
Ask the Queens Guard if you can ride on his horsey with him.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Sir John A.

Don't forget when you're there not to ask about the colony of Canada - they're still sore that they lost hockey when we left. Had to replace it with the cricket game - they don't even play thet on skates, eh!