Reload this Page >

Perillo tours, good idea???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 06:15 PM
julie hojnacki

Hi all! My husband and I are interested in taking a perillo tour to venice, Rome and Florence, and were wondering about the First Class Hotels that are offered. Can't seem to find out much about them.... Anyone ever hear of Venice-Bauer Grunwald... or Florence-Grand Hotel Baglioni,,, or Rome-Grand Hotel Flora???? Help...any other comments about Perillo tours are also appreciated...Thanks a bunch...

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 06:44 PM
Maureen

I have not taken the Perillo tours to Italy, although friends have and liked it. Can't help you with that. But I did take their tour to Hawaii and it was fabulous. I don't know if it's possible to compare the two, so this is probably of no help to you. (I just thought that it's the same company, and probably a similar level of service.)

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 09:53 PM
ray seva

I think the only thing bad about Perillo Tours are their TV commercials: Kinda cheesy,in a 70's kinda way...you know, grainy video, "O sole Mio" playing in the background, etc.

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Rod Hoots

Can only comment on the Bauer as we've stayed there a couple of times. It's a top-of-the line hotel in a great location, about two blocks from San Marco Square. Have seen good comments on Fodor's about the other two hotels. Haven't taken a Perillo tour, but have encountered people on those tours in Italy and other places. They all gave good reports. <BR> <BR>Rod Hoots <BR>Arlington, Virginia <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 05:44 PM
julie hojnacki

Aside from the cheeesy commericials...I think it all sounds pretty great... can't wait. I hope we don't have to spend all of our time with some goofballs. I want this to be a romantic 10 year anniversay....

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:52 AM
Michele

Went with Perillo to about 6-7 cities in Northern Italy. That was kind of hectic, on a bus early about 6-7am, pack and repack, 6-7 hour bus rides at times. If I had to do it over again I would have only gone on the 3-day trip - Rome, Florence and Venice. The hotel Bauer is great, centrally located. The hotel Danielle is the best. Right by St. Marc's Square. All the hotels are pretty good with Perillo. Stay away from the Jolly Hotels. <BR>My family and I just got back from Italy and went on our own. It was great. We rented a car (mini-van) and drove from Rome to Florence and Florence to Venice. It was great to go at our own pace. We stopped along the way for lunch. The rodes were very easy to follow (Autostrada. We got to see the country side. THe mini-van idea was great and everyone got to sleep in the car and relax. It wasn't that expensive. Mini-vans are about $350 plus $50 for gas to Venice from Rome. It's a lot cheaper for a smaller car. You can pick up a car at Avis at the train station in Rome. They'll give you good maps and give you suggestions. If you decide to go with Perillo you can always break from the tour and go off on your own. The only thing I didn't like about Perillo was that we had dinner in the hotels most of the time. I like going to little neighborhood restaurants and get the real flavor of Italy. If you want to know more about Italy, you can write me at E-Mail: [email protected] <BR>We also flew over to Sicily from Venice and spent a week there. The big cities in Sicily are very crowded and not that great but the countryside is absolutely beautiful. Rolling hills, vineyards, you can go to the top of Mt. Etna 10,000 feet up and see the whole city. It was a trip we will all never forget. <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2000, 06:28 PM
julie hojnacki

Hi Michelle,,, <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the great information,, I am sure I will have a ton more questions for you... Right now my husband is trying to make flight plans using miles and it's not looking very promising. What good is having a gazillion miles if you can't use the dang things??? I didn't know it would be a big deal. Anyway... We are doing the 3 city thing because I don't want to be to overwhelmed. I am hoping it will be more calm than yours!! Thanks again, and if you think of anything else that was wonderful, please let me know...Thanks ;o)

Old May 4th, 2000, 05:50 AM
howard

Julie: <BR>Unfortunately, you have probably waited too long to book your flights using ff miles. You've really got to do that months and months in advance. (We booked our flights in late January, 1999 for our November, 1999 trip to Italy, and according to the agent, the ff allotments were gone for that month by early February.) We've used ff miles a half-dozen times and have never been shut out because we booked early and had some flexibility on days. <BR>As for Perillo tours, they have a good reputation. However, we decided against that type of tour for some of the reasons cited by Michele. We just did a lot of research beforehand.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 02:33 PM
izzy

Do a search in Italy with "Perillo". My brother-in-law had a lousy experience and noted it in this site.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Sarah

Hi Julie: <BR> <BR>In 1995, I took a tour with the Perillo during off-season in Italy. I had a wonderful time. I highly recommend you to look into their 2000 tour pamplet. <BR> <BR>I am planning to go back to Italy this November. I am looking into taking their guided tour again combining with my own iternary. <BR> <BR>Their hotel selection was excellent. <BR>Our tour guides were very professional and insightful. <BR> <BR>If you have additional time to spend in Italy, be sure to take side trips. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip to Italy.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 04:37 PM
Thyra

Julie, congrats on the 10 year anniversary. Just curious, are you dead set on taking a tour? Would you consider independent travel. Much more romantic, if you want to sleep in until noon then you can. Not forced to hang out with a bunch of other people no wasted time gathering up everyone and doing head counts. But of course a lot less planning and maybe for you less stress . I was just wondering if you'd consider going as a couple?

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 04:58 AM
chris

I've taken a pre-packaged tour and have to agree with the previous comment that it was "hectic." The packing and re-packing, making the bus, trains and hydrofoils. Gotta get here by this time and eat at that time. <BR> <BR>With that, I've organized my own trip to Italy leaving 2/24/2001 for two weeks of semi-independent travel. My local agent has worked with me to secure groups rates and I want to introduce first-timers to this experience. <BR> <BR>For $1850 per person we'll start in Venice for a few days, the tour operator picking us up at the airport and taking us to Venice where we'll walk through town to our hotel. Everyone explores the city on there own by venturing out from the hotel as they feel comfortable. <BR> <BR>My colleague and I will then get everyone together to get to the train station, walking of course or those that wish can hire a "water taxi" (vaporetto?) We'll head to Florence to do the same. <BR> <BR>Throughout the trip we'll have dinner with everyone at one point or another to discuss their trip, what they've seen, talk about cultural differences, etc. We want everyone to experience the culture rather than sit on a bus listening to an English-speaking guide. <BR> <BR>If anyone is interested, you can email me or check out &lt;A HREF='http://www.flamingo-travel.com/groups/'&gt;http://www.flamingo-travel.com/groups/&lt;/A&gt;

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 05:12 AM
elaine

I have not taken a Perillo tour, but the comments I have always heard from others <BR>(and this applies to some other tours in addition to Perillo) is that there is too much time spent on buses, too little time at some "important" or beautiful places, and mediocre food where meals are included. Perillo does use nice hotels.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 04:54 PM
Buyer

Julie disregard the posting from Chris, he's just a travel agent who uses these message boards for his own personal gain, for free advertising and to seduce customers by posing as a real person. You are better off going by yourself or with an established tour company like Perillo.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Oh Really! aka Who Ever

Buyer: Just add your posts to this Thread also *please* when you find him spamming on this forum, in a the "Text Search" "flamingo travel (spammers)". He is a ____________. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 05:54 AM
dorothy

Hi Julie, <BR>If I were you I would opt for doing it on your own. You are fortunate enough to have someone to travel with - not just a travel buddy but your husband, someone you know and feel comfortable with. Wont it be nice to sit down to a candlelit dinner with your husband instead of with a bunch of strangers? Living out of a suitcase, having two hours of "free time" to soak in as much of a certain city as you can, eating dinners at the hotel with tour people who may not be as knowledgable about European culture, history, or art as you may be. I went on a tour my first time to Europe and felt like I had chains attached to my ankles! <BR>On numerous occasions I had to put my camera away, skip out on buying some never again seen crafts, or not grab a snack to eat as I was starving because I had to catch my bus. If you dont have much time to plan then take the tour, or if this is your first time to Italy, Perillo is a safe bet, if not then consider doing it on your own. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Jeanette

Just a thought, Julie, but if you want a really romantic time then I think you should not do a tour, but try it on your own. If you want to see the most and experience more places than do the tour with Perillo that moves you quite frequently. Beware though that it will be much more hectic than it sounds. In fact you may need a vacation from your <BR>vacation after you get home. The tours that have worked for me are ones in which the day trips or outings are densely planned but are not part of the <BR>continuing journey to the next lodging location. In other words, I only go on <BR>tours that have one central lodging and <BR>you aren't moving your luggage etc. etc. <BR>every day or every other day. This way <BR>you can see the area, people, local traditions (truly native food) instead of eating with Americans in hotels all the time. We're going with an independent travel group next March to the Italian Riviera area and am going to do lots of day trips on our own from a central lodging location in Rapallo. This way if I want to see the castle where Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein, I can. BUT if I want to go town trapsing, or sleep late- that is an option without missing my next night's connection. There is too much beauty and serendipity along the way to have to move your luggage and be on busses that much. I have gotten the best places and prices with tours but only <BR>do those with one central lodging location and have had great luck expanding day trips (sometimes quite a distance) out from there on my own or with our own much smaller group.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:41 AM
Byrd

Have you thought of taking an "independent tour", in which airline tickets, hotels, train arrangements, etc. are included usually along with half-day tours in each city?? You're on your own totally, but don't have the trouble of making all the arrangements. Nearly every tour company has these (we seem to be on everybody's mailing list) (Delta Vacations comes to mind.)

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Debi

This may be irrelevant - but in the original note you asked about the Grand Hotel Flora in Rome. We stayed there in May - it's a Marriott recently refurbished. Very nice - beautiful rooms, good service - nice location. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the top of the Spanish Steps. You'll love it.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:19 AM
julie hojnacki

Thanks so much to all of you wonderful people who have posted replies to my question!! I have read and considered all of them and am sticking with my original plan. Romance can be found in every situation, with or without annoying people, and bumpy bus rides, My husband and I will have a lovely time I am quite sure...I will be sure to share my trip with you all when I return, and hopefully help someone else out in the process.. Thank you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -