Pere Lachaise or Promenade Plantee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we only have time for one of these excursions - Pere Lachaise Cemetery or the Promenade Plantee (among our many other activities), has anyone done both and have a preference or any words to sway me from one to another? Or are they both so fantastic that we have to squeeze them both in, regardless of our time (and feet)?
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM

wow, tough choice and I have done both. Paris Walks used to offer a guided walk thru the cemetary which added alot IMO, but I guess you can find info about where the various graves are. There are both sort of "b list" sights, altho very enjoyable. And what about the Canal St. Martin - another option in somewhat genre. Sorry to not be very helpful but "they're all good"!
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't been to Promenade Plantee but we were somewhat disappointed with the cemetary.

I had a map but it was still very difficult to find specific graves. The only one we found was Edit Piaf.

Eventually we got tired of walking up and down hills in a cemetary and got back in time to go to the Petit Palais museum. Enjoyed that more.

Next time we'll try the Promenade.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:04 AM

<< I guess you can find info about where the various graves are >>

There are free maps near the main entrance.

Paris Walks still does Pere Lachaise walks.

http://www.paris-walks.com/download-pdf.html

I haven't been to the Promenade Plantee but have been to Pere Lachaise several times and always enjoy it.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:07 AM

I thought the map was pretty easy to follow. Here are some of my photos.

http://modigliani.shutterfly.com/cze...rankfurtpa/336
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
This a tough one. We visited each place in October, and enjoyed them both. I would give the slight edge to Pere Lachaise Cemetery, but you can't go wrong with either. The cemetery map was pretty easy to follow, but even the missteps took us to some pretty interesting looking final resting places. I told Tracy I wanted a tomb with a big screen. I believe it was then she said it was time to leave.

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi LL,

I think that Pere Lachaise Cemetery is much more interesting.

Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Ira, the Pere La chaise is more interesting, besides there are so many beautiful parks to see.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
libby, I also prefer the Jarde des plantes over the Plantee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jardin_des_Plantes
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 09:57 AM

If you are familiar with the Highline in NYC, you can skip the Promenade Plantée. The latter may have inspired the former, but I think that the NYC version is more interesting in its plantings and relation to the buildings around it.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I went away for a bit and came back to all these helpful responses! I did consider the Canals, but we're also headed to Amsterdam, so I'll see them there. I think my husband would prefer the Promenade, but in my heart, I slant toward the cemetery. Maybe we'll split the diff and go to the Petit Palais! I've not looked into Jardin des Plantes, but I will. This is our second trip (and I never thought I'd go once, let alone twice), and I'm using this one to do things we never got a chance to do the first time around. P.S. Beautiful photos, Adrienne.
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM

If you're not looking for the tombstones of famous people, a compromise might be the Montparnasse cemetery. Much small but beautiful and it will give you a taste of those lovely Parisienne cemetery markers.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 02:38 AM

The Promenade Plantee is more interesting for what is underneath the elevated walk. The arches of the old viaduct have been filled with workshops for artists and craftsmen. My favourite is a shop that specializes in classic music stands, a niche market if there ever was one. http://www.paris.fr/english/parks-wo...230_port_18987
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 03:12 AM

A really tough decision. I have done both and enjoyed both.
i visited Pere La Chaise with Paris Walks and found it very interesting.They are still doing the walk.
Walked along the Promanade Plantee several times, sometimes taking my lunch and a book and just enjoying the beautiful flowers .
Whichever you choose will be fine, and save the other for your next trip
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 03:38 AM

We enjoyed Pere Lachaise, and had few problems following the map - even wrong turns were rewarded with some stunning and poignant gravestones though.

I tried an early morning excursion to the Promenade Plantee for a run, but discovered it is only open during normal day hours, so never got back there due to competition with other things we wanted to visit as a family.

I have walked the Highline and enjoyed that, so maybe next time in Paris...
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 05:16 AM

We have visited and enjoyed both. As someone mentioned, I like the Highline in NYC better than the Promenade but it depends on the time of year you will be visiting. Late spring or early summer on the Promenade should be lovely. And the Jardin des Plantes is beautiful in spring, too.

We had a little rain while at Pere Lachaise. I think if we were to return, we would do the Paris Walks tour. We spent a couple of hours with the map but had a hard time locating some of the featured grave sights. The cemetery as a whole is quite beautiful.

Not an easy job to choose. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is our day at Père Lachaise Cemetery (with photos) to give you some idea.

http://www.travelswithmaitaitom.com/...2_Entry_1.html