Reload this Page >

Pensione Accademia

Search

Pensione Accademia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 02:31 PM
Eric

Pensione Accademia

Has anyone stayed at the Pensione Accademia in Venice? My future wife and I will be staying there for several days next year during our honeymoon. We would love to hear what it is like. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 07:48 PM
Barbara

<BR>We had a wonderful stay there in 1993. Ask for a large room -- we had one overlooking an interesting side canal and enjoyed the people watching. The staff is friendly, helpful and thoroughly professional. One morning there was a flood and the staff took it right in stride, served breakfast in the 2nd floor sitting room and opened a closet filled with boots for those of us who wanted to go out walking. Our room was charming and the bathroom roomy and well-outfitted. The breakfasts were very good and the gardens beautiful. I know they have undergone some renovations in the last year or so and imagine it's even nicer now. We plan to stay there again in the near future. The Dorsoduro section is filled with excellent restaurants and is an artsy, beautiful area . Convenient to everything. Enjoy!

Old Oct 17th, 1998, 10:54 AM
Bill

My wife and i spent 3 days there on our honeymoon. It was great. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We lucked out and got a room just showing up, no reservation. <BR>Yes, make sure you ask for a room with a nice view. We switched rooms because our first was small but without a reservation still didn't have much of a view. <BR>They have a Murano glass tour concluding with some strong salesmanship at the end. But your not committed to buy at the factory and it's worth it for the included water taxi. <BR>Have fun. <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 03:29 PM
Stephen Chappell

My companion and I stayed at the Pensione Accademia two Novembers ago - it was a great experience. Just like Barbara, we experienced the early morning floodwaters - the entire downstairs was under a couple of feet of water! So, the staff served a delicious breakfast in the 2nd floor lobby - a really beautiful place with antique furniture and a couple of large Murano glass chandeliers. Make sure you *do* book in advance - they are frequently booked solid. Really push for a nice, large room - we had a small one, because we booked last-minute, but it overlooked one of the side canals. They also have a nice rear garden - the place used to be the Spanish embassy around three hundred years ago - and lots of wood, stone and marble. Highly recommended.

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 05:36 PM
Howard

We stayed there New Years 1993, and loved it. The rooms vary in size, however, so request a big one with a view. We had rm 51, a triple, in the annex to the left of the main building. A longish walk to the room, but worth it, with windows looking over two canals. Good breakfasts, helpful staff who recommended our favorite restaurant in Italy, Il Corte Sconta. It's worth the difficulty finding it. Dorsoduro is a wonderful location, close to the bridge to San Marco (a nice walk via San Stefano), and the Accademia gallery. The Pensione Accademia is a one-of-a-kind hotel, and merits all the praise it gets in all the books. Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 05:36 PM
Howard

We stayed there New Years 1993, and loved it. The rooms vary in size, however, so request a big one with a view. We had rm 51, a triple, in the annex to the left of the main building. A longish walk to the room, but worth it, with windows looking over two canals. Good breakfasts, helpful staff who recommended our favorite restaurant in Italy, Il Corte Sconta. It's worth the difficulty finding it. Dorsoduro is a wonderful location, close to the bridge to San Marco (a nice walk via San Stefano), and the Accademia gallery. The Pensione Accademia is a one-of-a-kind hotel, and merits all the praise it gets in all the books. Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 10th, 1998, 10:49 PM
Denise

I have just returned from Italy and Venice. Although we stayed in San Marco, we both loved Dorsoduro walking one whole day around that area. It is quieter, canals seem cleaner (maybe it was our imagination) and just a wonderful area. I'm sure you will love it. I can recommend a cheap eats bar. After 3 nights and spending horrendous money for one course, we found Tiziano Bar, Sal SG. Crisostomo, near Rialto Bridge. Pasta 9000 lr (this October) wine 2000 lr per glass. Just as good as the most expensive meals we had. It is also worth buying the 3day pass or even 1day pass as we did on Vaporettos. We got one, went up the Grande Canal and just let the boat take us whereever. We ended up on Morano Isl. I will be glad to help with other info if you wish to email me. Have a great time - it was a wonderful spot. Oh, don't forget to listen to the musicians in San Marco at night - very romatic. <BR>Denise <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 1998, 04:27 AM
elaine

My favorite advice: use the Search <BR>feature on this site and look for previous Venice entries. There are many and you will find lots of suggestions on how to spend your time and money, and where to eat. <BR>You will love Venice! <BR>