Pebbles or sand in the Dordogne?

May 22nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
DLT
Original Poster

Pebbles or sand in the Dordogne?

Trying to figure out the best shoes for the river Dordogne - is it sandy or pebbles?
May 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM

I don't know the answer to the question, but I want to congratulate you on more attention to detail than I would have thought possible
May 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM

<river Dordogne - is it sandy or pebbles?>

Neither - it's water - it's wet
May 23rd, 2007, 04:13 AM
rex

<< I don't know the answer to the question, but I want to congratulate you on more attention to detail than I would have thought possible >>

Troll? or maybe planning to rob a bank - - and looking to wade along the river bank to lose the bloodhounds...

...maybe there is no such thing as to much attention to detail, in that setting...

What shoes are best, if it is primarily mud?

Best wishes,

Rex
May 23rd, 2007, 05:11 AM

Horses for courses? I admire the amazing attention to detail displayed by the many posters who give a thought about where they're going to eat, before they get there!
May 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM

DLT, I see from another thread that you are bringing toddlers along to the Dordogne so perhaps you have in mind some beach days along the river. To seriously answer your question, there are both sand and pebbles along the river as you can see from the photos taken on our canoe trip there last June: http://tinyurl.com/ku7l7

Maybe my trip report might be of help: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34839073

May 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
DLT
Original Poster

You make me laugh. Thanks for the humor I am sure you are a bunch of Brits (said adoringly). Us Californians are very shoe crazed (can't take the credit for being detail attentive!!!)
May 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
DLT
Original Poster

troll-like, hmmm, yes maybe a bit of that, too.
May 24th, 2007, 12:07 AM

To answer your question, the banks are a combination of sand and pebbles...so ordinary california sandal type things are fine. You don't need the rockwalkers...

BTW we have twice done the canoe trip on the Dordogne. You have a choice of something like an 8km or a 15km distance, all ending in the same dropoff.

It is really pleasant if it is sunny, and very easy to paddle, as you are going with the current. Not expensive, you can bring children without risk (no whitewater, and in most places the river is only 2-3 feet deep). Picnic or stop at any of the towns for the restaurant lunch of your choice. no need to reserve, as there are several canoe rental companies in the area. Highly recommended for couples or families. Rouss
May 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Highly recommend open plastic shoes sold everywhere to deal with pebbly beaches. Very cheap in supermarkets, and even in small general stores they aren't expensive.

Not sure what California sandals are.
May 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
DLT
Original Poster

Fabulous - thanks. I think I will do a pair of Keen's and some plastic thingys. My span of time there I am sure we will have rainy/hot/cold...water/wet (as robjame points out LOL).
May 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM

I think it's a brilliant question. Go to any supermarket (Intermarché, LeClerc, Mamouth...) and get the plastic sandals Carlux described. You'll definitely want them for swimming or boating in the river(s). Along the beaches, it's usually pebbly until you wade out a bit. Then it gets muddy. There are also lots of water plants - long weedy things with pretty white flowers on them - that you can get tangled up in if you're out where it gets fairly deep (deep is about 3-4 feet unless there's been a lot of rain). And there are fish - lots of fish. And should you be canoeing or kayaking and capsize, as my son did one summer, you'll definitely want the footwear if you're anywhere near the rock ledges.

And just for the record there are loads more possible canoe trips than 8 and 15 kms - 4, 6, 10, 12, and on up. We usually do a 6- or 8-km run, which with normal currents takes about 2 hours.

You'll be absolutely amazed how many people are out in/on that river on a sunny day in July!
May 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM

I have fond memories of sitting along the Dordogne in Beynac with a picnic just bought at the market in Sarlat. An English couple with their toddlers were next to us doing the same...it was a great place for someone with children (who tend to make a restaurant meal an ordeal instead of an event!)

The bank was sort of like beaten earth where we were--but it also hadn't rained in a while.
May 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM

You can get very inexpensive water shoes from L. L. Bean. I use them for kayaking and rafting. You wear them without socks. They protect your feet and the water runs out through the mesh. It is a worthwhile investment to buy these shoes even if you only use them occasionally. I always throw them in my suitcase "just in case" because, if there's kayaking or rafting, I always end up going.

Search this Thread