Paypal. Which is best way to avoid fees?

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paypal. Which is best way to avoid fees?

Hello,
First off I admit, I had no clue of the particulars of how Paypal worked until yesterday when our Venice apt owners notified me they don't take credit cards and I would need to use Paypal for the deposit.

I crawled out of my cave, got on the Paypal site, created an account, but now I have a question.

It appears I have three choices on how to pay: First - Directly from my checking or savings acct (which I have read on here not to do because of the direct link to your account)

Secondly on my credit card (I have Amex, BofA visa or Cabela's Visa) and Thirdly on my debit card, with a Mastercard logo.

Which way is better in your opinion to avoid additional fees. If I put the apt deposit on a credit card (namely BofA visa) will I incur the 3% foreign transaction fee they charge.

Will I also incure this charge if I use my Mastercard debit card, even if it comes directly out of my checking account. Is this a better alternative then linking to my checking acct directly?

I've never used Paypal and I just want to be informed as to which way is best.
Thank you for your input,
Michele
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM

why you post on this forum lol
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Hello hanleyster,
I posted here because it is for my trip to Europe and I want to know how to handle the deposit from my country to Europe. I trust the helpful opinions of the people on this board tremendously as I make my plans.

Do you think it would be better to post elsewhere? I've only used the Europe forum. Do a lot of people on this forum use the other forums too?

Just want to get the best help possible.

Thank you, Michele
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM

I prefer to use my airline FF credit card. You don't pay fess sending money, the recipient pays
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Seems to me quite reasonable to post on this forum. I would be interested in the answer from someone who pays through Paypal. We receive credit card payments here in France on Paypal, for which I pay 3.9%. So I'd like to know if the payee is also paying for the privilege.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM

michele:

First, I think it's fine to post here, as someone may know the particulars about foreign transcation fees and Paypal.

Second, we have used Paypal for a long time, and have it hooked to a bank savings account (granted, a small and insignifcant one) and a credit card. I have never had any problems with the bank account connection, if that helps you any.

Third, I have also made payments using my credit card on Paypal, and have also never had any issues. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the foreign transaction fee. I'm guessing you would not be charged that because that part of the transaction is between you and Paypal, not the Venice people. I would try calling Paypal to ask that question. They do have a customer support number somewhere on their site. I found them to be very helpful.

If it were me, I would use my credit card. It just seems like you would have the most protection that way.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Although I don't have an answer for you, I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with you posting your question here. Others who are trying to pay for accommodation in Europe may have the same question.

When we pay for cottages, etc. in Europe, we either do a direct bank transfer into an account the cottage owner gives us, or send an international money order. Hope you get the answer you need.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I have used Paypal many times, both as a payer and a payee. It is linked to both my bank account and a credit card, and there's never been a problem. I have never had to pay a fee for sending money. The fees are paid by the person receiving the money.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:24 AM

You realize, of course, tat PayPal was created by EBay.

I do not usnderstand your asking which way is best and also saying you've been told not to do it a certain way...I've been using it for years and it is linked to my main checking accont which has a routine balance in the five figures..and as someone above said, I've never had a problem.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Hello and thank you for your help. I think I might call Paypal to get the answer to the credit card part of the question.

Am I correct to assume that I am paying Paypal and then Paypal is paying the Venice Apt owner? Then would it be like I am charging something to my credit card in my home country, not a foreign county where I would incur the foreign transaction fee?

Dukey, I just read a recent post on this forum from someone who had a problem with an Amsterdam deposit and it was stated in the replies not to link to a checking account. (Their personal opinion of course).
I don't know, if you've never had a problem then it is probably safe to do. I don't use Ebay either...I know, I know...the horror!

I do have the money saved for the deposits, so it would be best for it to come right out of my checking acct. I wouldn't want the security of my account compromised though, that's what concerns me. I guess I am just a bit wary of something new, that I am not familiar with, but obviously a million other people use every day.

Thank you again for your helpful answers,
Michele
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM

My Paypal account is linked to my credit card that gives me frequent flyer miles. Haven't used it a lot but never had a problem. I give as few people as possible my checking account information.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM

Hi Michele

I absolutely SHOULD know the answer to your questions, but alas, I am feeling groggy today.

I can tell you that as an Ebay seller and constant Paypal user, I have had my Paypal account linked to my primary checking and major credit card for years. No problems.

I always have a balance in Paypal account from Ebay sales, so I just payed for an apartment deposit in France out of my balance.

If you use your debit card, won't it link to one of your banking accounts?
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:57 AM

I've used my Paypal account many times to pay for purchases from Europe. I get billed in $US, not in euros. And, since I'm Canadian, CC would charge me whatever th exchange rate is for $US. There have never been any additional charges. Paypal does charge the seller, but could also build in any additional charges into the euro/US$ conversion rate.

So..as far as my CC is concerned, I'm making US$ pruchases.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM

I've used Paypal to pay for things in other countries. I have the account tied to a checking account, and also a credit card. I have never encountered any fees. As someone else stated, the fees will be paid by the receiving party. (I'm sure they have factored these fees into the cost of your apt.) In this case, I would use a credit card to pay. I believe it gives you a bit more protection, and depending on what type of card you use, you may get airmiles or "points" of some sort to be used later for travel or hotels, etc. With Paypal, you can also have money drafted from your checking account and deposited into your Paypal account. Then you can pay from your Paypal account. I think this may take a few days. The recipient does not have access to any of your accounts.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
So if I understand correctly, when you pay with a credit card through Paypal and then receive your credit card statement there is not an additional charge (usually the next line) that is the 'Foreign Transaction Fee'?
Michele
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Correct
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM

But, like I said, no fee does not mean no cost
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I made a purchase from someone in Sweden through eBay using PayPal and there was a foreign transaction fee charged. I cannot at the moment remember how much it was.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM

My PayPal account is linked to my MasterCard.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I believe that Ebay "bought" Pay Pal from the guy who "invented" it. Not sure what difference it makes that it is an Ebay company.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -