Paying Tolls while Driving in Provence

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paying Tolls while Driving in Provence

I will be driving around the Provence Region (St Remy - Aix) in a couple of weeks. In reviewing maps on the Michelin site, I've noticed the reference to roadway tolls for some of the routes I will be traveling. What should I be prepared for in paying for tolls? Should I carry coins, are their pay booths? Thank you for your help.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are several systems, but in Provence you would generally get a ticket at one entrance booth and pay for it when you exit. Contrary to a lot of posters, I have <b>never</b> had a problem using an American chipless card in the automatic machines. I only have French cards, but I have used my brother's cards, my nephew's card, my mother's and father's cards in the machines with no rejection ever.

If in doubt, go to a booth with an attendant. He or she will insert it into exactly the same sort of machine as if you had been using an automatic slot and it will work -- which makes me think that the people who claim the automatic machines do not work are simply inserting the card backwards. It has nothing to do with the chip since no PIN code is used. Even with the French cards, only the magnetic strip is used. (I often use my chipless Monoprix credit card with no problem.)

You may encounter coin baskets when only a small amount is required. In such cases, there will be a sign before you get there indicating the amount so that you can decide among the three possibilites: coin basket, card lanes or attended booth.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac, got it!. Thank you.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Great info from Kerouac above - - and if you want to calculate exact costs just enter your data here:
http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.php?id=363
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM

There are always pay booths, as far as I know, I'm not sure how else you would pay on a pay route. Some are automatic, some are manned. I'm not sure, but I think I've heard of some places where no manned guichets were open, though. YOU can pay with credit cards but they have to have a chip if it's automatic, I believe. I've only paid with cash.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 02:34 PM

That contradicts what I just wrote, Christina. Why is my chipless Monoprix card accepted if chips are required?
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Sorry kerouac but in Provence, there are several unmanned, tollway entrances where NO ticket is issued. The <i>only</i> way to pass through these Autoroute entries is to have coins (and I cannot remember if a bill changer is available). A54 is one such example, with several on-ramps near Arles which require pre-payment in coins.

The best approach is to have cash available because virtually any situation, foreseen or otherwise, can present itself.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Yes, I know there are a number of small unmanned entrances all over France that work that way, ven though they are pretty rare due to the possible problems that may arise. They cover amounts of 3€ or less.