Paying admission fees in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are planning to use the 2-for-1 offers for The Tower, Tower Bridge Exhibition, The Churchill Cabinet Rooms and the Benjamin Franklin House (possibly others I'm forgetting at the moment). Will I be able to pay those admissions with a credit card? I've looked on some of the websites and see that they offer online booking (for which I assume they take credit cards) but can't tell whether they take them if you purchase your ticket there.

Just trying to get a sense of how much cash I'll need to carry.

Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM

You should be able to use your card at most, if not all, venues. The only places where a card might be refused are smaller venues that charge low admission, like £1-£2. You can almost always pay with plastic where a regular adult admission is around £5 or more.
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:28 AM

I agree with Alec. The Tower tours are led by yeoman guards. The one I had was really good and I hope it's the same for the others because although I did pre-trip homework brushing up on English history, the tour guide so enhanced the tour (and made it fun!) - which is how all tour guides should be!
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM

I completely forgot to finish my response to your question: "I agree with Alec. They take credit cards for most major sights. NO problem." Make sure you call you cc company before you leave to make them aware that you'll be using your card in another country/other countries so they don't place a security hold on it.
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Alec and craisin!

Craisin, my husband and I did the Yeoman tour back in 1982 and enjoyed it very much. I'm really looking forward to sharing the experience with my son. He's a bit of a history buff so I think he'll really enjoy it. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your tour!
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hi CAPH - we've never run into a problem using credit cards at most any venue we've been to in London. If your son is a history buff, he'll also really enjoy the Churchill Cabinet Rooms, as well as the Yeoman Tour.
Old May 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfr. Good to hear you've never had a problem using credit cards.

We're both really looking forward to the Churchill Cabinet Rooms. I remember seeing a piece on it on TV a few years back and thinking it looked very interesting. And, after reading a trip report here a few weeks ago (lauratg?), I think we'll enjoy the Benjamin Franklin Home too.

Can't quite believe we leave two weeks from Sunday!