Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Faulty Tour Services Credit Card Chargeback -- Anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone here ever attempted a chargeback on their credit card for faulty services -- product significantly not as described?

I'm curious, since we went on a day tour and virtually none of their "guranteed" or advertised features were in fact delivered or as described. Tour charged on my credit (not debit or PayPay) card.

Like many of you who sell on eBay, I've heard horror stories of cc chargebacks there. Does that work in real life as well? Naturally, I'm contacting the tour operator with my concerns -- any suggestions here? I'm in South Carolina, tour was in Las Vegas.

B/
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Hi birdgator, not sure of the specifics of the tour, but in my experience if the company clearly agrees there is a problem, you have an excellent chanceof them admitting fault and perhaps issuing some type of refund or goodwill gesture. I think that if you "dispute" charges they cannot refund you, it all goes through the credit card company and they verify if you agreed to the charges or not. I have been on both ends of the issue and my best advise is to put in writing EXACTLY what you want-i.e. How Much. If you simply complain and leave it up to them they still may diappoint you. When you are specific it gives them the oportunity to see what they can make happen for you. Good Luck !
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I'd contact the credit card company and file a complaint against the tour company and see if your cc insurance will also kick in. Let the cc company know there is a problem and they may also be able to help. Never hurts to ask.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Actually you probably have a better chance w/ the tour company. The credit card company will only have your subjective description of the problems and you did, in fact, take the tour so it won't be a non-delivery issue.

But -- virtually every tour brochure I have ever seen has a clause stating something like "itinerary subject to change/modification w/o notice"
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I've had three problems I referred to the credit card company (Capitol One Visa). Call them. They will tell you exactly what information they need. They will then suspend the charges until the matter is settled. They will contact the service provider and may get back to you with more questions. Just follow their directions. It's pretty simple and I have been successful all three times. They then credid you account for the disputed amount.

Curious
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys -- very helpful info and ways to proceed. Love this board for your collective expertise!

B/