Pavia... anyone been there, first hand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am about to head over to Italy for a while. Am going to be living in Pavia (mainly) just south of Milan. I have read alot about the city, but am finding it hard to hear what it is like from people from first hand experience. Can anyone out there who has been to Pavia let me know what it is like? I am dying to know... Thank you
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:36 AM
cmt

I've never been there, but it the city I am most likely to try to visit the next time I am flying home from Milan airport, if I have a day to spare. My impression is that if you are going to be living somewhere near Milan, Pavia would be an outstanding choice. I did spend a day (and overnight) in Vigevano, which is nearby, so if you're curious about that I could comment. You might consider posting on the travel folder of this forum: http://forums.about.com/ab-italian/start/?lgnF=y (or if you post the question and can discuss it entirely in Italian you can post it in other than the travel folder there). One of the regulars is an Italian journalist who lives in Milan, whose ancestry is from Pavia and who knows Pavia very well.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have posted my question there also. Fingers crossed. Anyone else out there been to Pavia?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:23 PM
cmt

I saw your post. If the person I had in mind doesn't post in a day or two, I'll post something to get his attention. Meanwhile, if you do a search on that forum, you might find some discussion re Pavia. I think I may have asked some questions about it myself when I was planning a fall 2003 trip. That forum, unlike Fodors, has a very good search function (look under "advanced search&quot.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you... you've been a great help! How did you find Vigevano? I have never been their either? Where is it from Pavia? Is it worth visiting also?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 05:21 PM
cmt

Vigevano is definitely worth visiting, at least for a day trip, to see its extraordinary main square. It is easily reachable by train from Milan and is in the province of Pavia. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34442286
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 09:38 PM

I spent the night in Pavia once, don't ask why it was one of those what the hell stops, tired, etc. Its an ok town, not much to it, alot of modern suburbia, found a great restaurant...don't ask which I certainly can't recall. To me as a passerby I was pleased, to live there its a great location. Enjoy.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 10:18 PM

Hi Giada,

It must be some 22 years ago I spent a weekend in Pavia. There is of course the splendid Certosa. I do remember the old covert masonry bridge to get in the city center.
I have a souvenir of an overall pleasant little town, with a vivid historic town center.