Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many times have you been to Europe? If you have been several times, is each time as thrilling as the first?

Search

How many times have you been to Europe? If you have been several times, is each time as thrilling as the first?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been several times and trully each trip is as wonderful as the previous. My first trip was 22 years ago and I have managed to return every year or at least every other. I never get tired of going back and each time is an adventure for me.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Very anal retentive here bordering on OCD so I know I've made 16 trips to Europe so far. One was for business. The rest were for pleasure including an 8 week trip when I turned forty 3 years ago.

I remember my first few trips to Europe and how crazy excited I was. I could hardly sleep on the plane so I was miserable the first day. I couldn't see enough so I ran myself ragged trying to see it all.

I especially disliked the 3 week business trip to Munich. I loved Munich. I hated having to go to work each day. I was in Europe! Who wanted to go to work?

My "thrill" has changed. I look forward to trips more now due to the internet. I can build my anticipation for months researching hotels, restaurants and sights. My thrill is more controlled. Matured maybe? I've been to Europe a few times. I know I'll make it back a few more times.

I can sleep on the flight over more easily. I don't have to see everything in a destination. I can throw away my plans for the afternoon and sit at a cafe if the weather turns gorgeous. The things I miss will still be waiting for me on my next trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:17 PM

We've been to a few countries once or twice, France a few times and Paris a number of times (10?). Particularly for Paris, the thrill of "new" may take a back seat a bit, but it is replaced by a feeling of familiarity, like I've come "home". That is every bit as exciting.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Have been to europe over 60 times. The busines trips are not thrilling at all - even Paris or Venice even if there's a day or two of vacation attached - somehow its tainted.

All of the vacations are thrilling - even if its to someplace I;ve been numerous times - like London. Just the idea of being "away" with no responsibilities - is a big part of the the thrill - but it's also the anticipation of what we'll find that's new - and even more so if its a place we haven;t been before.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:02 PM
rex

Hoping for trip number 25 (to Europe; excludes other trips to Canada, Mexico, Bahamas or across the Pacific) this year. For a number of my trips, the joy has been sharing with other less experienced travelers and &quot;seeing it again for the first time&quot; through <i>their</i> eyes.

Kinda looking forward to a trip &quot;just for me (or us, if my wife will be able to go) this spring. And if she can't go, perhaps a &quot;Fodorites' trip&quot; can come together.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:21 PM

I'd say about twenty times and always want to go back.
I miss Italy in particular,just love the people,the wine,the food.
I wish I could afford to go every year but times are a bit tough. Would love to get a job that would permit me to be there more often. Love and miss Barcelona as well.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Every trip to Italy is exciting but must admit that the very first trip in the 1970's was the most exciting of all.

Also Italy IMHO was gentler to visit then. No lining up for tickets at various sites etc. But tourism takes over and everything in the world changes.

Know now what to expect. In a way that is a comfort. But as far as thrilling, the very first trip was. Wish I could relive it
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM

It has been 22 times so far and counting. Yes, each trip is a new experience with it's own merits. The only limiting factor is age and endurance.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I've been to Europe every year since my first trip in 2000, to France. I have to say that that trip to France was the experience of a lifetime. I've enjoyed every trip since then, but nothing can ever match that first one. I was just dumbfounded by how wonderful it was.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM

I couldn't sleep for weeks before my first trip to Italy, I couldn't believe people were sleeping on the flight over, weren't they as excited as I?

I've lost count how many times we've been, maybe 15-20, and I still need to take the Xanac the night before we leave to get any sleep...the excited feeling is there for each trip. And upon every return we say &quot;OMG that was the best trip&quot; whether it is to somewhere new and exciting or to an old familiar place....the excitement of travel just keeps on giving.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:04 PM

4 trips in 12 months give me a total of 10. Every trip I've had has been great. Like other posters, I've feel at home- especially in London. I could live there.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Between 30 and 40 times and a stop in Italy, if not the only destination, has been a part of all but three of the trips. It's always a thrill.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM

15 or more times, but nothing was as thrilling as the very first time. Taxi driver in London responded to my excitement when I told him I had dreamed of coming to London all my life. He drove me past several famous sights, and I wept. Really.

Or Venezia, oh my. My mother treated my brother and me to a taxi boat down the Grand Canal because she wanted us to experience this entrance to the city. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I will NEVER forget that experience.

I love love love going to Europe still, but wow, those firsts were really thrilling.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Fourteen trips, and each has been wonderful; I still get a thrill when the plane touches down on foreign soil. However, there's nothing like being 21 and seeing it all for the first time!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
grandmere
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM

tuscanlifeedit - yes I completely understand what you are saying. That is how I feel. The first time of being in Rome, of driving through the &quot;city that all roads lead to&quot;.

Of Venice, the first time down the Grand Canal in a watertaxi.

The first time in Milan, walking through the Galleria and into the piazza of the duomo and standing there looking up.

The first time - of everywhere, Genoa, Pisa, Florence, Assisi, Lucca, Perugia, Orvietto,Capri, Naples,Almafi, MassaLubrense Isernia, Campobasso, the tiny village of Cantolupo, Bari, Perscara, Revanna,Verona, Como, Stresa, Isola Bella, and on and on.

I have been to many other places since my first visit to Italy but the first visit was the most magical. The trip that I always remember the most.

And the interesting thing was when we landed in Milpensa we had no idea where we were going to go to. No itinerary. We just took off. The most special two months of my life.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I've sort of lost count -- but I think 15 times now. Since I've done a lot of long trips -- up to 5 months at a time, I think I've spent a total of about 4 years in Europe now. But yes, I think it's almost as exciting as the first trips -- certainly easier and more relaxed. In fact, sometimes I think I'm more confident and comfortable traveling in Europe than I am in much of the US.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Hi, Mimi! I'm glad you're well again; it's good to have you back!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Patrick, interesting comment. I too sometime feel I know Italy better than some spots in US.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 08:31 PM

I didn't just mean knowing Europe better, as I travel a lot in the US too.
But I was referring to things like the following:

It's so much easier and better marked to return a rental car to the Rome airport or CDG than the Miami airport.

Navigating the Paris Metro or the Stockholm one or even the one in Prague -- well, any of them -- is much easier than navigating the system in New York, even if you speak no foreign languages.

I never run into the funny little habit in Europe that we have in the US of arriving at a hotel and having five or six different people taking the car, opening the trunk, removing suitcases to a trolly, someone else bringing them inside, someone else taking the car, someone else giving you a claim ticket, and someone else bringing your bags to your room. I get dizzy (and broke) when I arrive at a US hotel. They are all so simple and logical at even 5 star resort hotels in Europe. I just feel comfortable letting them take care of everything.

I'm not overwhelmed when I go to a new restaurant in Europe as I am often overwhelmed in the US. I don't get greeted with the five minute spiel &quot;have you dined with us before? My name is Missy and I'll be your server. Our dishes are meant to share. I'll mix your sauces for you. The specials tonight are. . . .blah, blah, blah.&quot; Seldom do waiters in Europe struggle to be your &quot;friend&quot;.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -