Search

Passport+Tourist visa overstay+interEU travel

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport+Tourist visa overstay+interEU travel

Hello guys,

I've been teaching english in Madrid for almost a year now and have long overstayed the 90 visa. I'm flying to Amsterdam tomorrow and returning to Madrid thursday. From what I understand, because I'm within the Schenigen (sp?) zone, my passport won't be scrutinized and I should have no problems.

However, I'm also reading that althought they don't stamp your passport, they do scan it through a computer to verify your identity and can also see how long you've stayed. I'm also a bit worried because I imagine that coming from a city like amsterdam, security will be a bit heightened with drug smuggling concerns and maybe my passport will receive more attention. I'm getting nervous to say the least. I have an apartment full of stuff and being deported would be a bigger disaster than you can possiby imagine.

Anyone been in the same situation? Madrid to Amsterdam travel?
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM

You should be nervous. You've broken the law.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Keep cool and don't resist when you're arrested!
Stu*id idea for an illegal immigrant to use a plane instead of driving.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the constructive feedback, great forum thus far.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Gatsby, just because you do not like what you read then no need to respond in such a manor. It is not the responders fault you over stayed your visa period is it?
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Well as the old saying goes, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

I didn't ask for peoples opinion on my choice to remain in Spain longer than the time I was given. I am one of hundreds of Americans teaching english in Spain without the proper documentation. The Spanish authorities turn a blind eye to it because their country values our service and we tend to be well-educated, law abiding residents that leave voluntarily after a year or so. The Dutch, I would think, are much more organized and far less lenient with these matters and could very well deport me. For that reason, I was hoping someone who is in a similar situation or had travelled between the aforementioned cities could share their experiences.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:37 AM

In your profile you bash Americans for their attitude overseas yet your attitude is that you are going to do something illegal and it's fine because you haven't been caught.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM

You'comitting an offense and talk about it on a public forum, posting your picture which can easily identify you given the zillion links to your true identity you left on the internet by using the same screen name all over the place (just use Google) and expect not to be arrested.
Come on, this can only be a joke to generate responses. Nobody commiting a crime would be leaving so many traces.
Som ass* cold just inform the authorites right now.

Better delete your account and ask for this thread to be removed.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

I don't bash Americans. I just get annoyed when people think they're God's gift to Europe because they're carrying an American passport, get drunk, and act like morons. I see English people do it as well. It's embarrassing and I want my country to maintain a respectable reputation abroad.

I don't understand the connection between my profile and the legal situation. In my home state of Texas, there are millions of illegal Mexicans. I don't make snidy little comments and judge them. I respect them because they work hard and provide services our economy demands. Breaking an immigration law does not make you an immoral person.

I'm a professional, providing a valuable service here in Spain. I understand full well that I'm breaking the law and frankly, my dear, I just don't give a damn. If I'm caught there will be consequences, as there should be, and I've no objection to that. If the airport authorities decided to take me down I wouldn't play stupid or try to justify my actions. I'd head back to the states and come back in 90 days.

I came on this forum with the hope that some fellow travellers could help me. I have no problem with criticism, but at least be polite about it. Why people feel the need to make such negative comments in a travel forum is beyond me.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Logos,

I'm sure playing tough guy behind a keyboard makes your peepee feel a lot bigger, but it's not impressing anyone. If you have a problem with my legal status, send me a constructive message or take it to the proper authorities. I've done nothing to offend you personally and I have no idea why you feel the need to be so hostile. Life is too short to be a dick. Take a chill pill
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Yeah, fake poster with fake story, not even clever.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM

You ASKED for opinions. You GOT them. DEAL with it. Sorry if we didn't all say oh poor visa-less you, there there, everything will be all right. We DO have a problem with your legal status...DUH...because it's NOT LEGAL. Those aren't "negative comments," they are answers to your questions.

You have, as you yourself noted, every reason to be concerned. Security at Schipol is not a joke.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Didn't tell a sob story and didn't ask for sympathy. Just looking for relevant info. This obviously aint the right place to get it so I'll leave yall grumpy bastards in peace. I'm gonna miss this place, though. Me and logos, bro's for life, just havin fun bein guys...flirtin' with adrienne. Tradin old war stories with StCirq. We all had our ups and downs but...Wait...no...I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Damn it. I just can't stop it! Life without Fodors is gonna be a drag. But please come visit me! Logos has all my personal deets.(that's slang for details). I'm really gonna miss you guys. Hope ya can make it to Spain before they nab me. I make a mean fondue and it's just me and the cats now that Eduardo left. I have a futon that will rock your socks off!

Ciao!
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Let's see the OP came on here, admitted she broke the law and would now like us to tell her "gee that's great"

Welcome to the REAL world where you actions have consequences....

And don't claim it's not a "sob story".. It's a sob story.

Since "hundreds of Americans" do this (a fact I find kind of hard to believe) why didn't you ask your fellow "the rules don't apply group" instead of a TOURIST board????

Just bizarre.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Don't worry you'll turn 23 soon, and being elegible for 5 years out of Europe ain't that bad either. Texas is nice too.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hi GatsbyMadrid,

Do you really teach English???

"No one is impressed that your American so please don't flaunt it . . . . "

s
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM

He's working at a chain hotel in southern Madrid. I just hope he pays his taxes...
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM

A few points to note:
1) Scanning your passport will not tell Dutch suthorities how long you've stayed in Schengen. Schengen Information System (SIS) that is linked to scanning is a passive system - like an electronic file - that simply matches your details against anyone on its list of those banned from Schengen because of previous offences, fugitives from justice, those on security hit list as well as details of stolen/lost passports and IDs and stolen properties. It does not log your movement into or out of Schengen.
2) Don't be so confident about Spain turning a blind eye on visa-less Americans working and living illegally. They do frequent raids on work places suspected of employing illegals, and should you get caught, expect to be treated the same as any other immigration offenders, just so that they can show they are even handed in dealing with offenders whatever their nationality.
3) It doesn't have to be a police raid - any contact with the authorities can lead to your status being discovered, including being a victim of crime.
4) If you are sent back to US for breaking Schengen rule, don't expect to be able to return after 90 days. Your details will go on SIS and you will be intercepted next time you try to enter Schengen, and turned back. The ban usually lasts 5 years, until the Spanish authorities delete your entry from the system (nobody else can).
5) While you continue to live illegally, don't expect your medical cover or other insurance to be valid.
6) As an illegal, you have no protection under law against dishonest employer who doesn't pay you, delays paying you, makes unjust deductions, doesn't contribute to social security, openly breaks health and safety rules or summarily dismisses you.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM

It seems extremely odd to me that someone who is openly breaking immigration laws would come to this forum for advice.

In general we are travelers - eager to give advice to other travelers. We are neither criminals nor immigration attorneys, so really can't give you specific advice on how to further evade the law - even if we wanted to.

Suggest you have a back-up plan since there is a significant change (assuming this is not a troll, which I think it is) that you will be caught and deported.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Wow. I read some of your blog GatsbyMadrid. If I were an English student of yours I would be appalled that my teacher didn't know the difference between it's and its.

Oh, and also be slightly horrified that the same person thinks it's fine to break the law.

Fine example you're setting there. Is that how you help your "country to maintain a respectable reputation abroad"????

Have fun working the overnight shift at the hotel. It does seem like you've wised up slightly and cleaned your profile details off some of the sites you frequent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -