Passport question

Search

Passport question

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport question

Where is the safest place to keep this while traveling?
I know to make copy and carry that with me as well but I don't want to carry it around with me while seeing the sites but I don't feel safe leaving it in the hotel unless there is a safe(I can't remember)
Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Hi Tango......I don't have all that much travel experience under my belt, but I think that the best places to keep it would be the places you mentioned....either in your money belt (with you as u sightsee) or in your hotel's safe (if there is one). Other than that there aren't that many "secure" options. Seeing as it's your most important piece of ID I think I would keep it with me at all times.....u never know! LOL....but thats just me, you might feel comfy with another option!! Have fun!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Hi tango,
The hotel safe is indeed the recommended place. If you're staying in a place in which your room does not have a safe, the concierge will usually put it into an envelope for you, seal the envelope (think a manila one) and put it into the hotel safe behind the front desk, and out of harm's way--my usual haunt in Rome does this, and will also do it for any other items you'd feel more comfortable having locked up in a safe--say jewelry or even cash.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:21 PM
J62

I leave mine in my closed suitcase in my hotel room, stashed in my bag of dirty clothes.

On this forum I read countless threads of people worrying about worrying if someone will come into their hotel room and take their passport, but I don't recall reading any 1st hand accounts of it ever happening.

If it starts to happen with alarming regularity I'll consider changing my practices, but for now when I travel to Europe I prefer to focus my limited energies on finding a delicious morning cafe and pastry, people watching, soaking in the sights, sounds, and smells.

I've spent too many prior years worrying about worrying instead of enjoying life.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Hi tango, I always have a photocopy of my passport on my person but I leave the original with the hotel..their hotel safe. I know some people worry about not remembering to retrieve it before they check out but I have never forgotten to. I cannot stand wearing a money belt all day.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I carry mine in my purse.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I carried mine (and cash, etc) in a pouch that I wore around my neck and hung down the inside of my shirt. Very hard to pick pocket - except that on my last trip my mother, who (thankfully) wanted to pay for everything would regularly announce in a loud voice-"Boys, let me pay, I have plenty of cash here in my pouch" .
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Mine is permanently in my handbag. Life's too short to be so cut up about a document.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:40 PM

To back up your passport in case of loss overseas, copy the identification pages of your passport only. Not the whole thing. That will be sufficient to expedite the process of replacing it at the US Embassy or Consulate. Some years ago, before 9/11 I was replacing my daughters expired passport at the consulate in Frankfurt. There was an elderly couple in front of whose passports were stolen. The officer suggested that in the future, they carry an expired passport as back-up. I had never heard that suggestion before. Don't know if it would be a good idea now.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:57 PM

We carry our expired passports ( with the horrible dated photo in it.... it appears I was young once with bad hair !), and leave them in the largest suitcase, we leave our current passport in the hotel safe. I never carry a wallet overseas, just a bit of day cash in one pocket and a credit and debit card in the other front pocket, sometimes I might add my photo drivers license. If anyone can get their hand into my front pocket past my privates without me noticing and then remove something...they have earned it !
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Marko, you shameless braggart! ;-)
So at what age did your hair get good?
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:22 PM

mmmMMMMM, my kids say never !
Looking at my collection of old passports is like watching vintage TV, it makes me cringe......and smile a lot ! Do you remember the days when every new country was a new stamp in the passport..I miss that !
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Cripes Marko, what I miss is how I looked in my passport photo thirty years ago, LOL.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

I keep mine with me in a secure pocket.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:12 PM

I began going to Europe back in the olden days (pre EU) when you had to show your passport for absolutely EVERYTHING! From checking into a hotel to buying a train ticket & cashing Traveler's Checks. Consequently, I am used to carrying mine.

Nowadays I carry it in a security pouch I wear around my neck & under my clothes.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Mine's usually in a money belt under my clothes, except when I need it (to check in to a hotel, intl travel, or as proof of age for discounts). Then it's right next to my wallet in my front pocket.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:11 AM

I think I now look more distinguished, the kids say I look "extinguished"!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses!!!

Good point...life is too short to worry about a paper document. But it will be much easier if it is kept safe!