Passport Problems

Aug 26th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Passport Problems

Can anyone provide a little guidance? I was trying to set-up last minute travel plans for Italy (leaving in approximately 3 weeks) and I was just told (by the tour company)that anyone travelling to Europe must have a Passport that is valid for 6 months from the completion day of their trip. On my second inquiry (the Italian Tourist board), I was told me it's actually 90 days from day of completion.
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:51 PM

I'm assuming that the problem is that your passport is about to expire. If so, contact an expediter. They can get it renewed in a matter of days. Basically, you are paying someone to take the papers to the passport office and walk it through.
Have a good trip!
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:55 PM

first off - double check any info you get from a travel board with the official department of state. I would never rely on a travel board for such important information.

that said: the DOS site (http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html) states

Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. If your passport expires before the required validity, you will have to apply for a new one. Please check with the Embassy or nearest Consulate of the country that you plan to visit for their requirements.

If you scroll down to Italy , it says that STAYS of less than 90 days do not require a VISA but do need a PASSPORT. The question you need answered is how long after the trip does your passport need to still be valid.

Aug 26th, 2003, 01:56 PM

I have been on the Iatlian Embassy websites several times in the past and I find it very confusing...I dont finda reference to the entry requirements..but I have found a link that has been of use in the past....
http://goitaly.about.com/library/weekly/aa121802a.htm
and this indicates that the passport has to be valid for the 90 day period following completion of the trip..
Hope that hels.......S
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Unless you can get it officially in writing that your passport is OK, you will be at the mercy of individual immigration officials or airport ticket agents. It would probably be prudent to renew you passport now before you leave. It can easily be done in the time you have.

This week there was a letter to the Sunday Travel section of our local newspaper - a very angry man was blaming the airline for not telling him about pasport expiration requirements (in his case it was Singapore but the same goes for most countries).

What happened to him - he was denied boarding at SFO. The airline offered to hold his normally non-refundable reservation until he could renew his pasport. But he was having none of it - it "is the airline's fault", and he was furious.

Aug 26th, 2003, 02:16 PM

The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country.
From Travel Report for Italy
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM

Does anyone have this information for France as well? I'm looking on the French Embassy website and it doesn't say anything about the expiration date. I'm leaving for France and Italy on Friday!!
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:31 PM

For France: The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the date of your expected return

Search this Thread