passport ??/name change

Mar 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 82
passport ??/name change

Going to Paris in May. Have not been abroad since honeymoon 5 years ago. passport has my maiden name, is that going to be a problem? If so, what do I do?

brenda_s is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 46,954
You need to get a new passport.
StCirq is online now  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 609
The fees for a passport go up $20 after March 8th, so you might want to do it sooner rather than later.
mermaid_ is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,463
You don't need a new passport, you just need to mail yours in with the official name change form. It will come back with a cheesy looking typed message on one of the back pages, but what is important is that it is entered into the govt. computer system.

Get it mailed off ASAP - it might take a while to come back!
TexasAggie is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 82
If I mail it out tomorrow will I have it back in time for 5/3/05 departure?

I cannot believe I did not think of this sooner....I just realized!!!!!
brenda_s is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,182
As stated, you don't need a new passport (unless of course it has expired, or will expire soon!) Send it in with the form and it shouldn't be a problem to have it back by May.

If you need forms or have more questions, take a look at
Margie is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 45,322
Hi brenda, go to There you will find the info on Passports.

You will need to send in a copy of your marriage license also. Not sure if this needs to be an official form or if a photocopy will be sufficient, but the government website should answer all your questions.

Also, if you feel a need to call the passport office to get any questions answered their no. (toll free) is 1-877-487-2778. They are open 8:00am to 8:00pm Eastern time.

You will be fine if you get right on this. Have a beautiful time in Paris.
LoveItaly is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,395
My daughter-in-law just had the same problem, but it was no problem. Her ticket was purchased in the name on the passport. As long as you have time left on this passport, you should be fine. If you decide to send it in, you can expedite it - pay a little more for the luxury of knowing it will be back in time.
allisonm is offline  
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,463
I sent in a "certified copy" of my marriage license (I believe the courthouse charged $3 or $5 for this). They mailed it back to me in the same envelope as my passport.

It took a little over 3.5 weeks for me to get mine back. This was just last autumn.

There is a box to write when you next will be using your passport - maybe (probably wishful thinking) they expedite those forms that have a close date...
TexasAggie is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Feb 13th, 2009 12:56 PM
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Feb 13th, 2006 07:53 AM
Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Feb 10th, 2005 03:43 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:08 AM.