Passport between countries Q's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

While visiting with relatives in Austria, we are planning a day trip to Budapest. I was planning on leaving everything at their home (for safekeeping) and just take some cash with us. My Mother in law said we would need to carry our passports because we are going into Hungary. Now, I am pretty sure no one checks for passports at the border? Or do they? I can wear a money belt for the day. I just thought it would be easier to leave it all behind.
Are there still border guards? Thanks.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your passport is your identification. Why would you even walk across the street without it?
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Easier to leave it behind? Well, sure, it's half an ounce you won't have to lug around.

What will you do if you get stopped for some reason by the Hungarian police? Your US driver's license isn't going to show them you're in Europe legally...or will you leave that behind too because it's "easier?"
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

I guess I haven't traveled internationally enough. I just thought that going between the two countries was no longer a big deal (like going from one US state to another). I will carry the passports I guess.
I thought they would be safer at the relatives home.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
it may be no big deal to cross the borders - but you would not legally be in Hungary w/o you passport . . . . . . .

I carry my passport <u>everyplace</u> - but even if I didn't, you can bet the house I'd have it when crossing an international border.

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM

The problem isn't crossing the border. It's that in many places in europe - unlike the US - people are expected to be able to identify themselves - and so carry official ID at all times. (Not like here - where who you are is no one's business unless you're getting on a plane.)
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Well I am not sure what the law is here in CA but I once had quite a hassle with the police because I did not have any ID with me. Thankfully my husband arrived and showed his drivers license and got things settled.

Also girlonthego, never go anywhere even at home without ID. If you got injured or killed (heaven forbid) it is a nightmare when the authorities have no idea who you are. This happened to a friend of ours visiting NYC years ago when he was mugged and killed. It was several days before his family was notified. It was a real nightmare. That sure taught me a lesson, well that and the hassle I had with our local police that time.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Girlonthego- take your passport!! You may think you won't need it, but as previous posters have advised, you need to be able to identify yourself, especially when you are crossing borders. What happens when the border crossing folks on the way back to Austria ask you for your passports and you don't have them? The answer is YOU ARE STUCK IN HUNGARY. Save yourself the hassle, take your passports with you.

If you are driving from Austria to Hungary, chances aare you will get waved through the border crossing. The minute you don't though, you are up the creek for sure!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:41 PM

No, it's not like going from one state to another. They are separate countries, not states. Take the passport and keep it on your person at all times.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In any case, you need a passport to cross that border. I traveled by train Budapest-Vienna last October, and border guards from both countries came through the train.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 05:01 PM

As both countries are part of the European community that means that we can cross the borders with just our ID card...but there are some countries even in the community that don¡t have ID cards (UK, for example) so they have to use the passport. You must use it also. You can be asked for it anywhere and anytime, even if it never happens.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I realize now it sounded like a silly question. My DH's relatives live in Austria and will drive us to Budapest. I know Budapest has more crime issues and thought we will leave everything at the relatives house for the day.

Don't worry, We will all have our passports!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:51 AM
ira

Hi G,

&gt; I just thought that going between the two countries was no longer a big deal (like going from one US state to another).

Even in the US, you need some form of ID when traveling.

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM

There is no requirement that one carry ID in the US. That holds true when traveling or otherwise.

There is a requirement to show ID when boarding a plane, or to carry a valid drivers license when driving a car. The average joe on the street need not carry any ID.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I always have id on me.
When we visit our families in NJ, I leave everything at their house except one credit card and some cash when we go to NYCity for the day. I may carry my license, maybe not if we take the train.
I just don't carry the whole wallet.
I was thinking along the same lines while traveling from the small town in Austria. (no more communism separating the two countries). I have been reminded, thankfully, that I am not just traveling locally, but going between two countries.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
&quot;I know Budapest has more crime issues&quot; - most places probably have more &quot;crime issues&quot; than Austria, but Budapest isn't anywhere to worry about. I wear a money belt when I'm traveling, even in Austria (habit), but I didn't feel at all unsafe in Budapest.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; There is no requirement that one carry ID in the US. &gt;&gt;&gt;

But if you are a foreigner it is a very good idea to carry ID - just like an American outside the US
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
&lt;The average joe on the street need not carry any ID.&gt;
I don't think that's true... Downtown Seattle police stop people doing suspicious activity and ask for ID. I see it all the time.

Back to girlonthego~ sounds like it's already decided, but do carry those passports when you are crossing borders.

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM

DH and I traveled from Budapest to Amsterdam on a river cruise last summer.When our ship was ready to sail away from Budapest the departure was delayed because the authorities in Budapest refused to let our ship leave until they matched ALL the passports with the passengers faces.We all lined up in the lounge and presented ourselves for a visual check matching pictures to faces.There was around 174 passengers plus crew so our leaving was delayed about 2 hours. Our Cruise Director said that although this did not happen everytime it was not unusual in the least and that the authorities could cause hugh problems by refusing to let the ships leave.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM

FWIW, as of December 20, 2007, there no longer are border controls between Austria and Hungary. See e.g., http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90...7/6324681.html However, U.S. embassies do recommend that U.S. citizens carry their passports within the Schengen zone. See, http://www.polandbusinessnetwork.pl/...ntentid=154261