COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Parking in Italy

Old Jun 30th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 60
Parking in Italy

I found this quote on Promo Bellagio:

"Finally, we would like to remind you that parking areas with yellow lines are reserved
exclusively for the use of Bellagio residents and for disabled."

I has made me wonder, would my NJ Disabled placard be accepted in italy? I also carry a persons with disability card in my wallet. If not, is there a way to request one before we leave for our trip?

LADYLYN is offline  
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 10:32 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 21,189
My wife had a cast for six weeks while we were in France. I was advised that it would take longer than that to get a disabled placard. I suspect that the same applies to Italy.
Michael is offline  
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,585
Just put your disabled card behind the windshield. I gather it looks like ours ? Blue with a sign of handicapped guy in a wheelchair ?

It would probably be good to warn the rental company that you have a disable card - police do check cards from time to time and ask the rental company to give info on the driver.
Rental company then usually charges the renter some fee to disclose the information, saying that you'll get a fine later.

I had to threaten the rental company to sue them and to write to newspapers in order to get those fees cancelled when police did check my disable card in Rome twice in a day.
Whathello is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 02:23 AM
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,203
Most spaces reserved for disabled people have a sign specifically stating so, with the logo of a person in a wheelchair. There are other spaces with yellow lines that are reserved for police or ambulances, so don't assume that any place with yellow lines is available to disabled people. Here is what the signs usually look like:

The circle with a slash through it means "no parking". The logo of a wheelchair below it, with the letter "P" means parking reserved to handicapped people.

In parking lots, this is the kind of indication you'll see:

If the New Jersey logo looks like these, I'm pretty sure it will be all right. However, Whathello has personal experience with using this type of placard when visiting Italy.
bvlenci is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 04:23 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,893
Handicapped parking spaces are clearly marked in Italy, however, if all are taken, those driving with a handicapped permit can park in a yellow/resident spot. In most cases, handicapped parking is free.

The United States has reciprocity with Italy via an agreement with EU member states. Therefore, U.S. handicapped permits are recognized and honored by Italian authorities. There is no need to apply for a specific Italian permit. The U.S. permit must be clearly visible, hanging from the rearview mirror.

Also, U.S. drivers with a handicapped permit are allowed to enter and park in ZTL zones, but the rules of announcement/identification vary from city to city. Some cities require a visit to the Municipale, with the make/model of your car and license plate number, while others require written notification. Some cities don't require any notification as long as your permit is clearly visible. Contact information for each city's "Municipale" can be found on most "" websites.

Bear in mind, most locals working for the municipale don't speak English. So, if you plan to drive or park in a ZTL zone, and you run into a problem (then or later), expect some challenges as you try to navigate through the language barrier.
NYCFoodSnob is offline  
Old Jul 1st, 2016, 07:05 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 60
Thank you all for your insights. Perhaps, I should make a copy of my Card and leave it on the dashboard. I'm not sure how much help the rental company will be - I have the disabled card and the rental will be in my husband's name. I definitely will contact the towns we expect to be in before we go.

Thanks again!
LADYLYN is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 03:29 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,893
"Perhaps, I should make a copy of my Card and leave it on the dashboard."

If by "card" you mean the actual permit, a copy will not suffice. You are required to hang the official permit, the one issued by your state.

"I'm not sure how much help the rental company will be"

Not sure what kind of "help" you are looking for. What do you expect the car rental company to do for you? Once you leave the car rental parking lot, you're on your own. Parking your rental car safely is your responsibility.

"I have the disabled card and the rental will be in my husband's name."

It does not matter who rents the car or whose name the rental is in. No authority is likely to check that information or care about it. As long as a passenger of the rental car (front or back seat) carries an official parking permit, that car can park in a disabled space as long as the official permit is properly displayed. This process isn't that complicated.

"I definitely will contact the towns we expect to be in before we go."

Without a car make/model and a license plate number, your communication most likely will be ignored. It is probably better to contact the towns after you pick-up your car so you can include the pertinent information they require. In order to be excused from a ZTL camera sighting, your car – the color, make, model, license plate number, and the disabled permit – must be visible in the camera capture.

There is no guarantee your communication with any city will be acknowledged. All written communication should be in Italian. The chance that anyone will be able to read English is slim to none. If you're planning on parking in a ZTL zone for more than three days, it may be better to visit the city's Municipale office just to be sure they have your car/permit information.

When I helped a disabled friend, this is what I did:

1. I photographed her official permit in daylight.
2. I created a color PDF that included the permit image plus her name, U.S. address, U.S. phone number, and Italian cell phone number.
3. In Italian, I wrote the arrival and departure dates, plus the color, make, model, and license plate number of her car. (I did this for her after she picked up her car.)
4. I emailed the PDF to each of her hotels.

Some hotels (and lodging owners) will contact the authorities on your behalf, especially if your lodging is in a ZTL zone and you wish to park near it. Depending on the city, some hotels will have you place their own I.D. sheet of paper on your dash board when you park in a ZTL zone. Many ZTL zones are not controlled by cameras. Instead, they have official people walking around who issue tickets.
NYCFoodSnob is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:20 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49,521
You might check with AAA if you live in So Calif. They maybe able to advise and arrange for such disable cards.
nanabee is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 49,521
Another thing you might check with is AARP if you are over 55ish.
nanabee is offline  
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:05 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 60
NYCFoodSnob - Thanks so much for taking the time to give me such detailed info. I will follow your advice. I mostly hope to use the permit in carparks.

nanbee - I live in New Jersey, but I do have a disabled card and permit.
LADYLYN is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Nov 28th, 2019 06:15 AM
Apr 8th, 2013 06:19 AM
May 29th, 2011 05:47 PM
Apr 11th, 2009 07:46 PM
Jul 6th, 2002 03:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information