Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to dijon, do you recommend a paid tour or doing it yourself?

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

staying in rue de bourg, wanting to go through the burgundy regions. Is it a better experience to try and do it yourself, or do a guided tour? If so what are some good companies to check out? i only see authentica tours...looks like they have a monopoly on it...any recommendations either way?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 01:41 PM

I'm an advocate of DYI - that way you will get exactly what you want - the stops you want for as long as you want. No waiting for others or long shopping stops you aren't interested in. But for DYI to work well, you have to do the research before you get there - know exactly what is important to you, what is not.

Also, be aware that booking tours ahead of time on the internet is the most expensive way to go. You will find less expensive tours once you are on the ground.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 02:44 PM

Do you mean tours of vineyards? If you want a walking tour of the city itself, I believe there is one called Owl's Trail that is just a map and DIY, not sure. Info on that and other tours to the vineyards are available in the Dijon Tourist Office which isn't far from the train station.
http://www.destinationdijon.com/en/d...s_chouette.htm

If you are doing vineyards, I would think a tour would be the way to go, otherwise, you'd have to do tons of research, make arrangements, etc., and it just doesn't seem worth it to me unless you are a professional wine buyer or something. Not to mention transportation issues on your own, you'd have to have a car.

Here is a prior thread on this topic with lots of suggestions other than Authentica although people seem to like them and it appears they are also offered by the tourist office.

Here is the tourist office's list of tours
http://www.destinationdijon.com/en/d...e_circuits.htm

I notice the full day one is by Authentica. I'm not convinced as mentioned above that they are marking up the tours on their website if you book in advance. The Tourism Office should be nonprofit, for one thing. it's the same price as on the Authentica website, I would be surprised if they priced it cheaper in person at the last minute, but didn't take one. Just seems to me it would be an odd marketing ploy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Get a guide book to decide what you prefer to see.
Without a tour, you will meet locals and have unexpected things.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:58 PM

I would suggest doing the area on your own. I would also suggest contacting Coco at www.myhomeindijon.com. You won't find a nicer place to stay or a better host.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks christina, i did the full day with autentica and maybe will try another day or 2 on my own...