parking in Aix en Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On previous visits to Aix, we've had a devil of a time finding parking. Can anyone suggest less stressful parking options there? Would love a few tips on that. Many thanks.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
we stayed at Manoir and they had their own car parc
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Hmm.. there are several parking garages along the boulevards that go as a clockwise one-way route around the old town/ pedestrian zone. With the electronic display signs you are kept on the right route if the first parking you encounter should be full or when you don't want that. Maybe that system had not been installed when you were there last time?
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM

I parked in a big lot near the gare routiere once, they seemed to have plenty of spots. If you have a good map of Aix you should be able to find public parking lots such as that one. It was near a library, also, as I recall, and not too far a walk to town center, eg, place de Gaulle (maybe 400 km). I had to park there as all the main garages right near Cours Mirabeau, the train station, etc., were full. I just made sure I had a good map of Aix before driving there so I would know where to try if the central garages were full (which they were). A Michelin map should show them. I was staying in a place on the NW side of Aix, so something on the east side of the city wouldn't have been as convenient for me.

Michelin maps have P's marked on them (in a red box) for public lots. I think you just need a good map to make it easy.
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:41 AM

Good advice from Cowboy and Christina. The electronic signs will tell you how many spaces are available in particular garages.

The main thing to remember is that you do not want to drive in the centre ville. I would not drive within the boulevards which circle the center. Unless you are a rich student with a Ferrari, in which case you can cruise the Cours Mirabeau.
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much--in fact it has been a good while since we have been to Aix--and our hotel was right in the center and didn't have parking--so we were cruising tiny streets looking for a spot. Will take your advice for sure.