Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Parking car in Vernazza, is this a big mistake?

Feb 13th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car when we go to Cinque Terre and need the car after we leave. The advice for those with cars has been to lodge in Monterosso or Levanto where there are closer parking lots. But I'm getting the impression that it is more of a Cinque Terre experience to stay in Vernazza. I have emailed Giuliano of Giuliano's rooms and he says there is parking in Vernazza. I don't have a sense of how far we will be walking with our luggage nor do I know how to get to his accomodation (there are no maps and he doesn't speak much English so hasn't responded to my request as to how to find his place).
Is it safe to leave car for 2 days in a public lot or on the street?
Would it be better to park in Riomaggiore and train to Vernazza?
Would it be better to forget about staying in Vernazza and stay in Levanto at a place that has a parking lot nearby?
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:54 AM

If you are planning a trip around a parking lot, at the fantastic Cinque Terre, you are missing the point !
Just park your darn car & enjoy where you are at.
Vernazza is small enough that distances are not great, unless you have physical limitations. Yes, Vernaza is probably the most beloved of the Cinque Terre, but if you want convenience , stay elsewhere. Part of the allure of these towns is walking in the winding trails between the towns. If your already concerned about parking & walking , how do you plan on walking the trails ?? If your not hen half the Cinque allure is gone.
for
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:44 AM
JonJon

Personally, I am always curious when people start out ".....we NEED the car after...." And then you ask about parking one???? If you're absolutely wedded to it then yes, you'll have to find a place to park it and leave it...too bad you cannot tear yourself away from it for the whole trip..you might find the experience liberating.

Feb 13th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Hi RDixon: I think I can help you. We went on a trip in September/October and I drove. I find driving in Italy very easy and convenient despite what other posters may feel. You can park in Vernazza (which is my favorite town). You must get to the parking lot a little early in the day thought - I would think before 1:00pm as the parking lot is not very big. A little mini bus runs from the parking lot down to the town - and back up every 20 mins or so. I preferred taking the boat service to the other towns rather than the trains, I felt it was better views and the boats run very frequently. If you click on my name, you will see where I posted some information that I may have forgotten here. The only part of the driving trip that might be a little scary is coming down off the "main" road down to Vernazza, its a bit steep and twisty but just drive it slow and beep the horn at every corner. I would not hesitate to drive. It made the trip back to Pisa airport much easier (about an hour and half drive). We stayed in Gianni Franzi's rooms. If you need website, feel free. Do you have a website for Giulaino's rooms?
Feb 13th, 2004, 05:06 AM

P.S. An automatic transmission is essential in my opinion though.
Feb 13th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Aine. The website I have for Giuliano's rooms is www.cdh.it/giuliano.
There isn't a whole lot of info on it. Perhaps there is another website that is better. Would you recommend Gianni Franz's rooms? If so, do you know their website? The car we are renting is a standard, not automatic. Is that a huge problem? Also, we are going end of March.Do you think we need to worry about what time we get to lot for space then?
Feb 14th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Hi RDixon; Maybe not in March, especially if you are arriving on a weekday but I cant be totally sure. It was pretty full in October when we arrived at about 2pm but I guess that was the tail end of the summer. I would take the chance, if you are staying in Vernazza they surely have to find a place for you to park your car. I think it will be ok.
Feb 17th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I can't imagine any reason why you would ever need an automatic transmission rather than a standard shift unless you simply are not very good with standard transmission cars. I suggest you ignore any recommendation to use an automatic anywhere in Italy. I'm sure you can park at Vernazza if you arrive at a reasonable time. Good luck.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. Helpful, as usual.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Wayne you are right - I have not used manual transmission for a couple of years. The reason I said that was that most USA residents would be used to a automatic and if you are coming from the UK or Ireland then the gear stick will be on the opposite side that you are used to. If you are driving down that steep area in Cinque Terre you really have to concentrate and it would make life a lot easier. My mom and dad are used to driving standard in Ireland and found it extremely difficult driving in unfamiliar territory on the opposite side of the road, in fact my mom could not manage it at all. Just keep it in mind as Thank God we got an automatic were the first words out of my mouth driving down to Vernazza.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I will be in Vernazza in early October for 3 nights with a car. We have a flight out of Milan MXP at 10:15am. What time will I have to leave Vernazza to get to the airport by around 8am. How long of a walk/hike is it from the train station to the car park. I am sure the mini bus will not be running early in the morning.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM

You are driving back to Milan for 8:00am from CT? Yikes! I dont know if I would chance it. It took us 1.5 hours to drive to Pisa airport from CT. It will take about 20 - 30 mins to walk up the hill from Vernazza to the parking lot but it will feel like an eternity! Try not bring too much stuff down there. Take a pully carry on at most. If I were you I would not waste the money for the accomodation in Vernazza that night and leave for Milan the day/night before! Try mapquest.com or something like that to see your driving time.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:50 AM

look on expedia.com maps. It says the drive is about 2.5 hours but I would leave more. It looks like highway all the way up though. I guess you would want to leave Vernazza at about 4 to 4:30am, especially if you dont know where your car rental drop off is and you are a nervous ninny like me.
Feb 17th, 2004, 07:59 AM

viamichelin had 168 miles @ 3h8min. If I leave at 5am I should get there around 8am - plenty of time for a 10:15 flight. What day is market day in Vernazza. Don't small trucks drive right into town on market day?
Feb 17th, 2004, 11:38 AM

Euro Hi. I remember now that I used Michelin on line directions when I went and they were excellent. Straight forward and not as many mistakes as mapquest. I also remember that market day reference when I was researching to go but was not there the day of the market. I had lots of really good websites but forget them now, I am sure you have done a search for Cinque Terre, I remember there were lots of them. I think I found www.5terre.com helpful. I remember I had to sift through a lot though. You might at least be able to email them and ask about the market as it looks like a CT tourism site. Good Luck and I wish I were you!
Feb 24th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thought I'd bring this back to top to ask this question of CT buffs: Would it be faster (coming from Lucca) to get to Vernazza and easier to find a parking spot if park car in Riomaggiore?
Aug 16th, 2009, 03:53 PM

To AINE and others who might know: We will be trying to park in Vernazza in mid-September (probably arriving by mid-morning). Is there a CLOSING TIME for the Vernazza parking? Or is it just an open space that is open 24 hours? Thank you!
Aug 16th, 2009, 05:31 PM

First off, driving with a manuel shift is not as hard as many would make it out to be. For North Americans, the shift is on the same side that we are used to and you are driving on the right (not as in correct but as in the opposite of left) side of the road.

The market day is Tuesday and the trucks do drive down into the town, but no one else is allowed to. Even residents have to park at the top of the town.

The guest parking lot is farther out. As someone mentioned there is a little bus that shuttles people back and forth. When we stayed there for a week in April we had a rental car the last two days as on Saturday we were to meet friends in San Gimignano and the car seemed the easiest option. Sunday we did some more hiking and just left the car in the lot. On Monday when we left, it was too early for the shuttle so we walked up to where the gate was. One of the crowd went up to get the car the other two of us stayed with the luggage. He was allowed to drive down to pick us up, turn around in the resident lot and off we went.

The road down to Vernazza from the autostrada is a bit curvy (understatement) but we survived even though it was after dark.

No one seemed to be around when we got back about 11pm. But there was someone there the day we left and he collected the fee(reasonable). The shuttle wasn't running that late and we hoofed it to our B&B.
Aug 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM

IRISHFACE: Hmmmm, I'm a bit confused. I wonder if we are talking about the same parking area. Is it the lot 1/4 mile north of the village? I thought it was a free lot. If not... what happens if you get there at 11pm and no one is attending the lot? Are you just stuck? Or are you talking about another lot altogether?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO