Your favorite Amsterdam hotel??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I will be traveling to Amsterdam this June and will be staying for 3 nights. Since this is our first stop on our European vaca (and I'm doing all the planning), I want a great hotel to stay in! My husband and I were in A'dam last summer and booked the Marriot for $90/night on Priceline... I'm not getting that yet, though I'll continue to rebid. Plus, the Marriot was a little too "Americanized" for us on our first stop. We would love something with charater!
Cleanliness is a must, as is a comfortable room with bathroom (not shared). We would like to keep it under $150/night, no more than $200. A breakfast would be a huge plus. We plan on walking most of the city, but I do not have a specific location in mind.
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
ps- I did a search but couldn't find a current thread on this topic that was helpful to me
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM

For maps of hotel locations and user reviews try going to

www.channels.nl
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM

The Marriot hotel as Leidsepleine is certainly Americanish. But, this is a great location. There's lots of places to visit, meet, walk around, find good restaurants, and anything else which you might want.

I stayed there all of the time, if the company was paying. I have stayed at a few other hotels further in the town and maybe it's more European but it doesn't have the same location.

Blackduff
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:11 AM

How are you defining the term "Americanized"??? Would you rather have an establishment with different architecture? Some steep stairways?
For that matter, how are you defining "character"???

Seriously, a lot of people here have stayed in a lot of different hotels in Amsterdam and if you really want to be successful could give us a hand by telling us what you actually mean.

Terms like "charm" and "character" may mean different things to different people.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Daughter and I totally enjoyed Hotel Kap. Quaint.Just the "You're Not In the USA, Sally" experience I wanted. Great staff. Great breakfast. Not luxury by any means.Steep stairs. Excellent location. A little grocery store and a good cafes nearby. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.Be sure to ask for a room with a bath.BTW, I emailed the staff several times and they were wonderfully responsive.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I think you can worry less about it being Americanized. It's still in Amsterdam and it's going to be different that you would expect it to be in the US. My favorite is the Hotel American, in spite of the name. It's a Crowne Plaza in the perfect location (very close to the Marriott) and has really comfrotable rooms with views of the Leidesplein and the canals from charming little window box sitting areas. The Cafe Americane is a beautiful art deco restaurant and bar where Mata Hari was said to have had her wedding reception.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sally- just what I was looking for! Don't get me wrong. The Marriot was great. Very comfortable and if I could get it for under $100/night I'd take it. I guess when I say Americanized, I don't want to feel like I'm in the Marriot in Dallas. I know charm and character mean different things to different people. Frankly, the term CLEAN means different things to different people. Really, I'd just like some hotel and B&B recs. If y'all can give me the names and why you suggest it, I'll sort through them all and figure out what would fit our needs the best. Thanks!!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:58 AM

For me definitevly the best is NH Amsterdam City Centre. It is in Museum distict that I prefer much more than the "central" centre. We never take breakfast, but go for our brekfast in a great delicatesse in a elegant P.C.Hofstaat street, just around the corner from the hotel. (turn right into Hofstaat street and the deli is few meters ahead on your right) and the deli is . You design your own sandwiches and then we cross the street in a great place for an apple pie and coffee in the afternoon. I really do not like the are around Rembrand square and red light district.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM

TX...my recommendation seems to meet your overall criteria...The Hotel Seven Bridges on the Regulier Canal. Excellent in everry respect. We've stayed there twice and have referred several friends to it...all came back fully satisfied with the location, the management, the rooms, the "character" and "charm" etc...waking up to look out over the Regulier Canal tells the story...you're not at home in the USA. The latest rates I believe are in the $200 category or a bit less....two years ago they were about $150..spotlessly clean.
Stu T.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM

TX...here's a web page for The Seven Bridges..it claims from 110E's and up...count on something closer to 150E's, I'd say..
Stu T.

http://www.weekendhotel.nl/hotel/ams...idges/463/1/en
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed at Hotel Kap and enjoyed it very much. But for me, it was nothing I would choose if I were trying to impress someone. Excellent location and terrific breakfast in a cute little breakfast room is included in the price. I had a single with a shared bath, so maybe that's why my impression is slightly less favorable than Sally's. That said, I would stay there again but I think you can do better in a similar price range.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM

www.amsterdamhotspots.nl
is another good planning website
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Good info...bookmarking for a trip! Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I don't know how old your mother is, but there is something to be said for American-style comfort, if that means well-appointed bathrooms with spacious tubs and showers, a secure shower door that doesn't leak water, enough space to walk around the room, and properly functioning elevators. As you know, though, there's a good chance of getting some hotel other than the Marriott on Priceline.

Take a look here:
http://www.bookings.nl

Also look at the NH chain of hotels. It's a Spanish company.

I liked the Best Western Eden, but the Marriott is surely a nicer hotel, although I haven't stayed there.

Have you considered a B&B? One that posters seem to like on this site is Mae's B&B in the charming Jordaan area.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Seven Bridges has one room left, at 150E/night. How's the breakfast?
Hotel Fita also has room, for the same price. Anyone heard of it?
Problem is, I know I can probably get a 4 star hotel on Priceline for around $100/night. It will most likely lack "charm" but will be in a good location.. It could save us over $150 total...
How great is Seven Bridges? It looks beautiful
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I like the Hotel Rho, on a tiny side street on Dam, next to the overrated Krasnapolsky. Website is http://www.rhohotel.com/
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Seven Bridges
Estherea
Fita
Brouwer
are a few that get good reviews here. this is completely second hand just from reading on fodor's. my only experience like is said above is with hotel kap, which while servicable, i recommend with disclaimers.