Paris wine stores

Search

Paris wine stores

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris wine stores

If all goes well, we will be spending 8 days in Paris next May!

I would like to search out the great 2005 Bordeaux vintage for a few bottles to bring home for long term aging

If I recall all bottles would have to go in check luggage - am I correct still on this??

Also any favorite Paris wine stores to check out?
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Yes, your bottles have to go into checked luggage because you can't bring more than 3 oz of liquid onto a plane coming into the United States.

But, maybe you live in another country? I don't know because you don't say.

You could buy some wine at the duty free shops at CDG then you can take them on the plane with you.

Galleries Lafayette has a very nice wine department in the Food Halls on the second floor.

Dreadful Defarge
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Lavinia on the Rue de Madeline. Supposed to be the largest wine store on mainland Europe. DH was like a kid in a candy store.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM

Here's two of our favorites:

<b>La Derniere Goutte</b>
6, rue de Bourbon le Chateau
Open everyday, including Sundays.
Saturday wine tasting hours: 11:00 to 1:30 and 4:00 to 7:30.
This wine store has tastings every Saturday. They’ll box 6 bottles to a box, pre-made to hold wine from La Poste, the French post office. His wines are very reasonably priced.

<b>Lavinia – Restaurant et Bar &agrave; Vin</b>
3-5 boulevard de la Madeleine
Enjoy a good lunch in a relaxed atmosphere upstairs in one of Paris’ biggest wine shops, and you’ll have a view over their enormous assortment of spirits. You can also just drop in for a glass of wine in the wine bar, until 8 p.m. If you don’t find what you fancy in the wine list in the restaurant you can choose what you want from their 6,000 or so references in the shop and just pay the shop price!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:15 AM

My favorite is Julien Caviste, 50, Rue Charlot, 75003

Mostly small producers, almost none of which is exported from France. He's helpful and can help you with holding times for aging in your cellar. Prices are reasonable.

Yes, you have to check the wine. Duty Free doesn't have a great selection and prices are not that great + if you have transfers you may have trouble with having to check the duty free purchase at you transfer point.

I bring back by the case with wine luggage I bought on IWA. If you collect or regularly buy wine while traveling, it is a worthwhile investment. You can also try wine skins, they are protective bottle covers so the bottles don't break. I also use those, they work well. I bought from here: http://www.ftscontent.com/
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Nicolas has stores all over Paris (and France). If the wine you are looking for is sold there, it is by far the easiest place to get it.