Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

paris weekly metro pass- photo required?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is leaving for Paris next weekend. As we will be in Paris for a week, we had planned to purchase a week long pass. I seem to recall many years ago when I studied in Paris that a small passport photo was required- but that may have been because I had purchased a monthly pass. It has been 11 years since my last trip to Paris with my husband- we bought a weekly pass then too- but I can't recall if we needed a photo. Can any of you Fodorites advise? Also, are there special pass rates for children? We have a 9 year old and a 12 year old with us.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 07:56 AM

The one week pass available in Paris is called Carte Orange...but note the validity of a one week pass is always Monday to the following Sunday not just any 7 day period. Carte Orange indeed requires a small photo.

The above information is known to be 100% unlike the information sometimes posted by know nothings on the board; otherwise I would't post it.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Some of the larger Metro stations have photo booths if forget to bring passport size photos with you.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 08:36 AM

I think it is somewhat smaller than a passport photo. You can just cut your face out of a snapshot you have and use that. There are the booths but they are sometimes out of order.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:13 AM
scumpy

Yes, photo is required, and yes, passport photo is way too big, and yes, photo machines are very expensive. Do you have a family snapshot where everybody's head is about a half inch to three quarters inch high? Just cut all the heads out of that and bring those little pictures with you. That is the advice somebody on here gave me, I did it, and it was perfect.