Paris Walks rudeness

Oct 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Paris Walks rudeness

I contacted Paris Walks because of the recommendations I read in this forum. After Oriel told me basically I was dumb not to do Versailles on my own with earphones, I finally got tour descriptions. I decided Paris Walks' Versailles trip did not suit my needs. As the email ended that I should contact them if I wanted to book the tours. I did nothing. I have received several very rude and insulting emails basically chiding me for taking up their time . I have met with great helpfulness from Context Walks and Paris Muse tours. I would recommend them highly.
Oct 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM

That's too bad. I've had great experiences on all the Paris Walks I've taken, so I can't comment on what happened in your case.
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Did you register just to tell us that?
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM

What's wrong with registering on a travel website to share legitimate travel advice?
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Who said there was anything wrong about it?

What's wrong with asking a question of a person who posts something that might be damaging to a business?
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
lyb

What's rude to one person is not to another...I'm not saying that Paris Walks was rude and I've never dealt with them before, but I would be interested in actually reading the emails, I think that we could all decide on our own if they were actually, which I'm not saying they weren't, but it's nice to see everything.
Oct 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I am always suspicious of people who register and post to trash one company and praise another one.
Oct 26th, 2008, 02:08 PM

>>I am always suspicious of people who register and post to trash one company and praise another one<<

me too - since I've had several nice e-mails from Paris Walks. We've been on about 6 of their walks & all were very informative. Actually, I enjoyed them more than London Walks because Paris Walks concentrated more on facts & sites, and less on & jokes.

Stu Dudley
Oct 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM

I can't believe Oriel told you you are dumb. She's is a very gentle person. And rude emails from them? This is so hard to believe. I've emailed them and received polite replies every time and have taken at least 10 - 12 walks with Paris Walks and have had a great time on all of them.
Oct 26th, 2008, 04:38 PM

The needle on my Bogus Meter just pegged so hard it bent to the right.
Oct 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Yeah, right....thanks but no thanks....
Oct 26th, 2008, 04:47 PM

shades of Palin
Oct 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM

We just came back from Paris and on my to-do list is to write a recap of what we did during our week there, including two Paris Walks tours. But I felt that I should not wait until I get around to writing a "report" to come to the defense of Paris Walks. I contacted them numerous times by email prior to my trip and I found their responses to be prompt, courteous and helpful. The two tours we took were the French Revolution tour and the Chocolate tour, both led by Iris and very enjoyable and informative. My only regret is that we didn't go on more tours, which was our intention when I planned the trip, but other things came up.
Oct 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM

freberta,

Welcome home. How did the foliage pictures turn out?

Tom
Oct 27th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Tom, I am not very good at navigating this board, so I couldn't find that thread about the fall foliage and let you know about the photos. In short (since I don't want to change the topic of this thread), Paris was beautiful although the trees were just beginning to turn. But we did get some very nice shots. Of course, they were not nearly as beautiful as yours, but I am sure we will be pleased with the prints (especially of Giverny). I'll try to find that thread and continue it, and as I said above, I'll write more about the trip when I have an hour or so. Again, thanks!!! (And thank you to everyone else who helped make the trip wonderful).
Roberta K. (as opposed to Roberta L.)
Oct 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM

Those who've said they found the Paris Walks service very good actually ended up taking the tours, so it's hardly surprising they didn't get chastised for wasting PW's time. And it doesn't prove that the OP is exaggerating or working for a competitor.

As to registering to make a complaint - I would have thought that was exactly the sort of thing that would induce a person sign up - I know I've done that on various consumer websites.

Oct 27th, 2008, 04:05 AM

I don't agree with you, because the way Paris Walks works for most of its tours is just to show up. They have no way of knowing, except for the Chocolate Tour and maybe a few others which require prior booking, who is going and who isn't. So, it's in their best interests to act in a professional and courteous manner to all who enquire about their tours. I had to send in credit card payment to reserve two places on the Chocolate tour, and because they don't have a secure website, I couldn't send in the credit card account number in one email. Because I wasn't sure how to do it, they were very patient and understanding. When they got my two emails, each containing part of my account number, they emailed me to say all was received. They could not have been nicer. But at that point they had no idea how many regular walking tours I was planning to take.
Oct 27th, 2008, 04:15 AM

Of course some people sign up in order to make a complaint. But, RM67, this is not a consumer site in the same sense that a consumer-protection body might operate a site.

When somebody signs on here and makes a first post strongly recommending an accommodation service in Budapest, some of us (hi, janisj!) wonder if this is disguised advertising.

When somebody arrives here with a complaint about a service provider, it is legitimate to consider the motives. This is particularly true when the complaint also recommends other services.

So what are my motives in discussing this? I have never used any of these services, or anything like them. Just not my type of thing. But I have a strong sense of fairness.
Oct 27th, 2008, 04:43 AM

Padraig - I wouldn't disagree that some posts are 'suspicious' in their nature - what concerns me is the black-and-white way in which this sort of thing is often discussed - i.e 'it didn't happen to me so therefore you must be telling porkies'. 'I didn't encounter that sort of treatment, therefore you are a troll'.

People rarely even bother to use the words 'it's possible that', or 'maybe'.

What makes some people so certain their 'hunch' is an undisputable fact? Are they more perceptive than ther rest of us? Or just more arrogant?
Oct 27th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi. I can not believe that anyone would questions my motives in posting a message. I am a schoolteacher from New Jersey who travels often. I have never posted a message before, but I have used the suggestions from the Forum often. That is where I heard of Paris Walks, so I thought I should report my experience. These were private tours I had inquired about as there were none of their scheduled tours going when I was available. As I said, Peter ended the email with "let me know if you want to book the tours". Since I did not, I never replied. I got an email saying they were happy that their guide would not have to be with "such a rude person" and so on. I simply think this was uncalled for. I continue to get emails from Paris Walks that I have not opened. As to Paris Muse and Context, they arranged tours that met my needs. I thought the purpose of this forum was to share experiences. I can only report mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO