Paris Visite pass

Search

Paris Visite pass

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Visite pass

What is the opinion of purchasing a Paris Visite pass. If I understand the description, I can get a five day pass for approx. $38.00 and I can use it on the Metro and the buses. We plan on going to the flea markets two days, and sightseeing the other 2 1/2 days. Should I just get the 10 tickets package instead. Thanks
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM

You have to do some math. The single <i>tickets 't'</i> cost &euro;1,09 when purchased in a <i>carnet</i> of ten.

One ticket is required each time you board a bus (no transfers) or go into the M&eacute;tro/RER system.

If one person uses more than five of them in a day¹ (&euro;5,45), then a one-day pass called <i>Mobilis</i> at &euro;5,50 becomes more economical.

But if you will use more than &euro;16 worth of transport between a Monday and the following Sunday, a <i>Carte Orange</i> makes more sense. The only catch is that you can't buy one after Wednesday. A 1&quot; square ID photo is required when you buy one.

¹ As an example, a trip to Sacre Coeur might cost you two tickets to get there and back, one to ride the <i>Montmartrobus</i>, and one or two on the <i>funiculaire</i>. As many as five tickets to see one sight.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM

The weekly Carte Orange is a much better deal than the Paris Visite, but it's good for Monday-Sunday, not any seven-day period. It costs E16.00. However, even if you use it less than seven days, it can still be a good value. It all depends upon which day of the week you arrive in Paris and which day of the week you depart. Which days will those be?
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM

The opinion is that it is usually not worth it. There are a few exceptions where it might work out okay. I don't know what you are quoting in US dollars though (or CAD??) as it is priced in euro. The price you quote is too high even for the PV as the five day 3 zone pass is only 27 euro in Paris (about US$34).

So where were you going to buy this that it cost so much? If you are buying it from some travel agent or other for-profit agency, they are obviously adding in something for themself to make a profit.

The Carnet may be fine for you. The PV wouldn't be too bad if you buy it in Paris and really intend to use public transportation a lot every day, as it is a little cheaper than buying 5 Mobilis daily passes (about the same, really).
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 02:31 PM

That said, a five-day <i>Paris Visite</i> is both cheaper <u>and</u> handier than buying five <i>Mobilis</i> cards and keeping track of them, so if you arrive on a Thursday, it's about the only game in town.

You get a coupon book for reduced rates and twofers with <i>Paris Visite</i>, but I think it's rarely worth acquiring for that.