Paris, Venice, Rome

Search

Paris, Venice, Rome

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, Venice, Rome

Kia Ora to all. I have been on a fleeting visit to the above three and would like to spend one week in each. I was going to do Paris for 10 nights but have now decided one week in each of the above. I have one month off and this would include travel time. Is this doable or am I reaching for the stars? I am coming from Down Under Christchurch NZ.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Not sure how I tag for France and Italy other than do it again and put Italy as the tag. Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM

One week in each would be fine, and might even allow some excursions outside of each city depending on your travel style.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:27 AM

First off, don't worry about tagging. This thread is already tagged for France (you can only tag your thread with one country) and your subject title clearly indicates which two countries you are visiting. It will always show in the "Europe" forum. The only purpose for the country tag is so that people searching the boards for research can look at threads from a particular country. In your case, it doesn't matter.

Your plan is very doable, and I would add, ideal.

Can I suggest you get an apartment in each of these three cities as you are staying a week in each place?

I would also suggest you fly into Paris, train to Venice and then train to Rome and fly home from Rome or vice versa.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:36 AM

VERY nice. Agree with apartment idea, too.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Grateful:

you are planning a wonderful trip.In 2009 we did 1 week each in Paris,Rome and the Amalfi Coast.You can see my report by clicking on my name.
I think the suggestion of renting apartments can be a very good one,we are planning this for a future visit.
Please,enjoy your trip(one of the best itineraries ever)!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Hi Kiwi, Aussie here! A week in each city is perfect. Last June I spent a week in Paris, then 3 nights in Venice and then 2 weeks in the Greek Islands.
I had been to Paris before, but I love to walk and spent my time wondering the streets looking at the amazing city.
It rained in Venice so I didn't venture to the islands, just wondered around the canals and took some great photos, but after awhile it all looked the same. 3 days were enough, but with better weather a week would have been great. I have visited Rome, interesting place, if you are catholic you will love the religous side to rome. I however love Paris the most, it is truely beautiful, clean and whereever you turn there is something else to amaze you. I can imagine your excitment building as you plan your trip, enjoy!
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Sounds excellent, and apartments are a good idea.

I wrote a bit about Venice - it's here.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm

Venice is pretty special!
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I did Amsterdam to Bruges to Paris to Barcelona to Venice in 3 weeks, and based on that experience here is what I would do if I were taking your trip:

Fly to Paris, take an EasyJet or Ryanair flight to Venice. The train from Paris to Venice will be an over-nighter and will cost more than a one-way flight. I would also price out flights from Venice to Rome before assuming the train is cheaper. In many cases, it costs the same or more and you will lose a whole day traveling on the train.

If you take an EasyJet or Ryanair flight to Venice and/or Rome be aware of the weight of your bag. You will be limited to 40 lbs.

100% agree on the apartments because it will cost less, you will have more room, you will be able to wash clothes and you can buy and prepare food.
Old Nov 11th, 2010, 08:41 AM

By the way, of all my travels, Venice is my very favorite city: I have been twice, and spent a week each time. We loved the cafes and just exploring all the canals. Spend a whole day in each neighborhood and maybe take a day trip (via train) to Padua and Verona to see the ancient Colosseum. A week is NOT too much time in Venice because you can slow down and really explore the churches and the many campo. You can also spend a day or two exploring the islands and take and afternoon at the beach on Lido.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have taken the time to comment. Aussie I love Paris too and I love to wander the streets and take photos. You know I am so undecided. I just cannot get past my 10 days in Paris that I always said I would do. I am beginning to think why not spend the whole month in Paris. Why does one have to visit a multitude of places and cram too much in just because one comes from way down under. Why can I not live slowly for one month in Paris? I could take day trips from Paris.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM

You may find you love Rome and Venice (especially Venice) just as much.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 04:05 AM

Grateful: This may be a FIRST. I think most of us have exhausted our little fingers typing in phrases like: "Uh, I don't think seeing Rome, Florence, Venice, Madrid and London in five days will work".

You'll get no argument from me about choosing a long stay in Paris--there's certainly a reason so many of us here have returned there 20 times or more.

But Tarquin has a good point. Given my clear affection for Paris, I was surprised how I fell in love with Rome, and I was even more surprised about how I fell in love with Venice.

I don't think a week in each is traveling at the speed of light--and you may get to fall in love three times.

No matter what, your travel 'tude is right!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM

The idea of having an extended stay in one place is great. I think that you experience a place in a different way when you are there for some time. You no longer feel driven to see the big ticket sights, and what could seem mundane sights become really interesting. Taking breakfast at the same bar for a couple of weeks on end really gives a different view of how a place works. You get to see the same faces in the streets, the barman starts to recognise you. We’ve done the same in Venice, and it worked for us.

OK, if you spend a month in Paris, you will not get to Rome, Venice, or anywhere else maybe. But you’ll have had the experience of a month in Paris.

It’s the difference between a six course banquet, and eating at six fast food joints, I suppose.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM

I love Paris, Rome and Venice. I have visited them many times and plan on return trips. Too bad you cannot spend a month in each! Maybe you can spend a month in Paris this year and then Rome and Venice in the next couple of years.

I once spent 6 weeks in Paris and loved every momment. If you do decide to spend a month in Paris, be sure to rent an apartment. A wonderful guide for daytrips is An Hour from Paris by Annabel Simms. I highly recommend this guidebook!

http://www.annabelsimms.com/
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much Zoecat and Peter. I am taking it right to the wire as today is the last day of booking the cheaper flights and because I am so undecided of anything other than Paris I am going for Paris, For one month. My heart is there and I like the idea of slow living and eating. I do agree with you both and I like zoecats idea of doing one month in the other two places another time. Thnaks to all. Now I have to get past all the negative talk from others about how expensive it is to live in Paris and find an apartment for me that is central to all. I like the 5th or close by so any suggestions for apartments for one for a month . I replied to one in the 5th but they do only 2 -7 day rentals. I like bright, sunny and must have either french doors of windows that open. It is a big job scrolling through apartments so if anyone has one that they could recommend I would aprreciate that. A quiet apartment would be nice to. Trees. Thanks to all eho have replied. It has helped me be clear on my decision. I am going to pick the phoe up now to book. I always wanted to see Paris in springtime so I am going for 2weeks April 2 weeks May unless others have been in spring and can suggest a better time frame.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Grateful, good for you!

I could make a suggestion – start a fresh topic on Fodors called “Looking for an apartment in Paris in May”, which will attract the Francophiles and the Paris enthusiasts. You’ll get heaps of recommendations.

And have a great trip. Ignore the people who say that it’s all too costly – it’s only money, after all!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Grateful, I think your trip to Paris sounds wonderful. Have you checked the Paris Apartments Thread here on this forum?

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 03:16 PM

In the 5th, this apartment is nice and inexpensive-

http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/38447.htm

This one, in the 11th, may work well for you-

http://www.vrbo.com/103254

In the 3rd-

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Fra...aris/p8777.htm

http://www.vrbo.com/79965
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks zoecat for the links. Sadly three I like are booked already. Have been checking the Paris apartments thread tuscanlifeedit and Peter may shortcut the whole process by starting a fresh topic on looking for an apartment as you suggest. Thanks guys I will keep looking.