Search

Paris Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Trip Report

Paris Trip Report:

First I want to thank this forum for all the advice and information that saved me time, money and frusstration on my three-week trip to Europe.
The following is a report about our trip. The first week in Paris only. The remaining two weeks , Germany and Amsterdam will follow. If it is too detailed, let me know.

Day 1- Paris.

We arrived around 11:00 am after a pleasant business calls trip on Delta. Yes the teenagers flew business class also. Flight attendants very nice, but somewhat distant.
George, the taxi driver from Paris Perfect Apartments picked us up and quickly took us to our ? Chardonnay? apartment in the 7th district. Madelyn and her local representative Nancy greeted us. Both were very gracious. Explained every thing about the apartment to us and even supplied a few extra ?New? fans for the local heat wave. They even had a bottle of wine, Orangina for the kids and cheese and crackers awaiting our arrival. The apartment was perfect for a family of four that included two teenagers. Plenty of space and privacy for each person. After unpacking we toured the area immediately adjacent to our apartment, which included the Eiffel Tower, only one block away. Bought supplies and groceries for our stay and stocked the kitchen. We had a late lunch at a local Bistro and then joined the Locals for an evening of wine and people watching at the Eiffel Tower. Then to bed.

Day 2 - Sunday

We got up early and enjoyed fresh bakery item, as we did every morning, and headed out for a 6-mile walk around Paris. Wound up at the Museum de Orsay. We had our Museum Passes with us , so we spent a few hours visiting the marvelous paintings and sculptors.
On our way to lunch we observed the Sunday ?Fun Race? by all of the part time roller bladers, not ready for the Friday night adventure. We had a wonderful lunch and then took our first METRO trip back to the7th and walked to our apartment for a quick nap. After ore refreshing nap we took a Seine boat tour before having a wonderful Tai dinner at a small restaurant in the 7th. On our way back to our apartment we heard a lot of sirens and the noticed a large rescue helicopter near the Eiffel Tower. Then suddenly smoke started billowing from the top platform. It was a dark black smoke that filled the sky and at times obscured the helicopter from our view. WE rush over to the plaza, along with another six or seven thousand people; to watch as the local police and fire department evacuated all of the visitors and extinguished the blaze. It turned out to be an electrical fire in one of the elevator motors. Fortunately no one was hurt and it was very exciting to see the local civil servants do and expert job at handling the situation.

Day-3-Monday

Another hot days in Paris. We decide to metro to the Arc de Triumphe for some sightseeing. While at the monument a women attempted suicide by jumping from the observation deck. She got hung up and landed on the next level, only 6 feet or so below.
The local police and military rescue team gave everybody a thrill by repelling down the face of the monument, to retrieve the sick and scared woman. We leisurely walked down the Champs Elysees towards the Obelisque deLuxor. We stopped on the way had a wonderful lunch and met another American family from Pennsylvania on an extended visit. My son wound up making a date for later in the week with their daughter. After leaving Place de la Concorde, we napped and had another wonderful dinner. This time it was Italian.

Day 4:

The wife was a little sick, so the kids and I went to Versailles by ourselves. The ride on the RER was uneventful after it took me ten minutes to explain to the ticket agent we need three tickets ?Round Trip? to Versailles and that we already had our Museum Pass.
WE did the tourist thing in Versailles, had lunch and bought my wife flowers to help cheer her up. After a nap, we walked to the Metro for a trip to the Hard Rock Café. I know it sounds stupid, but my son likes to visit a Hard Rock restaurant in every city we visit that has a franchise. So far he has visited 30 locations. We love the deserts.
On the way back we had our only bad experience in Paris. While changing lines at the Concorde station, we were almost the victims of Pick Pockets. There was a group of fifteen or twenty kids that pushed their way on the train and were distracting passengers as the other half were lifting wallets. My wife caught a girl with her hand in her purse and attempted to break her little finger until she dropped her wallet. The little girl screamed and all of the kids rush off at the next stop. It was a very upsetting experience. We called it an early night and returned to our apartment retreat.

Day 5- Wednesday

During breakfast we were discussing our daily plans and my son suggested visiting the Titanic exhibit at the Cites de Sciences et de l?Industrie. We all agreed it was a wonderful idea, and spent most of our day at the very interesting museum. The Titanic tour was very moving and thought provoking. We even watched the movie STOMP at the Imax theatre. A wonderful Indian dinner, a romantic stroll through the 7th with my wife and off to bed.

Day 6- Musée du Louvre day.

We took the Metro early to the Louvre, hoping to miss some of the crowds. It was a very easy commute. The Metro stop was in and underground mall, adjacent to the lower entrance to the Louvre. We purchase the audio assistance in English and spent the next 5 hours exploring history. The least impressive piece of art was the Mona Lisa. Many of the other artifacts were much more impressive.
We return to the 7th for a quick nap. We took an unsuccessful trip to the 6th district in search of a recommended FONDUE restaurant. It was out of business. We took a long walk and wound up back in the 7th near our favorite Italian restaurant. We had dinner, took a walk along the Seine, had some ice cream and off to bed.

Day 7- Friday

This being our last day we had to fit all of our remaining ?Must Sees?? in.
It was off to the Rodin museum. This museum turned out to be one of our favorites.
A short ride and we explored Notre Dame. It was under construction, but was still magnificent. We purchased some Paris boxer shorts for some of my son?s friends and then we were off to the Picasso museum. This is one museum we could have skipped.
It took a while to find and was out of the way form all of our other venues.
It was time for a late lunch and then a visit to the Moulin Rouge. We took a few group photos and headed back to our apartment to pack before our last dinner in Paris.
We found a great Tai restaurant.

Day 7 ? Saturday

On Saturday morning around 8:00 am Nancy, from Paris Perfect, arrived at our apartment to return my security deposit and check on how we enjoyed our week.
Around 8:45 A M George, our taxi driver, arrived to take us to Gare de Lyon railway station to pick up our car. After two hours of upgrades and getting lost a few times we were on our way down the A4 to Germany.

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 10:30 AM

ttandy:

Wow! Between the Eiffel Tower fire, the suicide attempt and the pickpocketing, sounds like you had an eventful week in Paris! Fun, too!

I just have one question: Could you elaborate a little more on why it took you 10 minutes with the RER ticket attendant? Was it a language problem? Discussion of the museum pass? I'm just wondering because I'll be in Paris next month and will be taking the RER to Versailles and would like to be able to anticipate and potential problems.

Thanks so much! (and thanks for such a lovely report!),
Jennie
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 10:43 AM

The names, ttandy, the names! Always like to hear of some "current" good places to eat.

Wonderful report. Don't change anything in your style-firstly, it's you, and secondly, it's an easy read! Merci!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi,

Thanks for your trip report. Glad your Paris trip went well.

Was/is your wife in law enforcement? (The bend-the-pinkie hold)
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Wow, that's more action than an episode of Alias! Sounds like it was a great trip with alot of great memories!
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:06 PM

When you say Notre Dame was "under construction" did anyone explain what was going on?

I know that a few years ago there was scaffolding all over the place, as they were giving it a good cleaning, etc., but when we were there in May '01 the work had been completed and it was glorious.

This is the first I've heard of any further work being done, and I'm curious to know what they're doing.

Also curious about why you and yours chose to visit the Picasso rather than the Pompidou...although that's not everyone's cup of tea, either.

Anyway, glad y'all had such an interesting visit, and looking forward to the rest of your report.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Hey TTANDY

Sounds like you had an eventful and enjoyable time.

We go the Hard Rock in every city we visit too so no it is not stupid. And even some grown ups (At least tat 35 I consider myself old enough to be grown up) enjoy the hard rock. We collect Pilsner glasses and tshirts from all the ones we go to. We plan on visiting the one in Paris too when we go on our Honeymoon in September.

Also look forward to reading more about your vacation.
David
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 10:31 AM

ttandy
I hope that you caught all the excitement on film!!!!
Thank"s for the report!!
ps How did your son's date turn out??
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:07 AM
RLA

ttandy - Thanks for the report. I am enjoying it since I will be traveling with older teens as well - family of 4 with both boy & girl. Did they know much about it before going. Were they passionate about the upcoming trip or indifferent? I find that sometimes knowing less makes for pleasant surprises. I hope you will include lots of their thoughts and observations as well, because you never read trip reports on this board from a teens persepective, understandably. I am interested in Paris Perfect apartments. I like the pictures on their site. It sounds like you were very happy with it. Was it a perfect location for a first time to Paris? Would you say apt. and location more or better than necessary? Those things are important to me, but who wants to spend more $$$ than is necessary to accomplish your goals? Sorry for so many questions! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your report!
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Ttandy,

Thanks for the great report! Sounds like it was not only an adventure, but packed with all sorts of unexpected excitement, as well. I, too, want to know how the date went.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

I haven't checked the forum for a few days. Here are the answers to questions:
1).The date went great! The girl from pennsylvania and my son met for dinner in the 7th and then they spent an few "teenager only" hours at the Eiffel Tower.
2) The problem with the RER to Versailles was a language problem. Since my wife is the only person that spoke any French, I was forced to communicte in her absence. I speak with a strong Southern accent and the agent couldn't understand my Southern French.
3)They were working on the tower where visitors went up to the top of Notre Dame.
4)Our teenagers had agreat time. They were excited as teens can be about the trip. We travel once or twice a year and they are seasoned travelers, so they don't get too excited. My son will being going off to college in a couple of years and this was probably our last "Major" trip as a family of four. Makes me a little sad.
5) We couldn't have been happier with the Paris Perfect experience.

I am starting on my report about the rest of our trip to Germany and The Netherlands.
Any suggestions on whether I should start a new thread such as "Paris Trip Report Continued" , "Germant & Amsterdam Report" or just add the information to this report? I am new to filing trip reports.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:55 AM
ira

Hi tt,

Usually trip reports just continue on the same thread.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I agree with Ira. However, people looking for info on Germany and Amsterdam aren't typically going to look in a thread titled "Paris Trip Report." Therefore, it might be better to start a new thread for each.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I'm curious, ttandy: On Day 2, you said you took a 6-mile walk and then spent several hours a the d'Orsay before lunch. Knowing that 3-4-miles-an-hour is a decent pace and thus, it would take you perhaps 1 1/2 to 2 hours without stops, what time did you get up that morning?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the additional update, Ttandy.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:43 AM

ttandy:
We've been interested in renting an apartment in Paris. We love some of the Paris Perfect apartments but they didn't have air conditioning. How was the heat in the apartment? Was is tolerable at night?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM
RLA

I enjoyed this report. Did I miss the rest of it somewhere - continuing for Germany & Amsterdam?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:30 AM

We just returned from a week long stay in apartment (this past Sunday - 2 days ago) and I must say that with the fan our hosts provided it was very comfortable at night in Montmarte. Weather there was great last week. Not too hot and not too cool. Overcast most days which I am sure helped. We even got some rain which cooled things off on Monday.