Paris to where???

Search

Paris to where???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to where???

We (my husband and 9 year old daughter) will be spending one week in Paris next May. We are also planning on spending one week outside of Paris. After looking over websites and travel books, we were thinking either Normandy or Burgundy. We like to eat & drink wine (at least my husband & I do) which, I assume, is pretty popular either place . We also love to explore - walking through cute villages and towns - just poking around. We plan on renting a car and also renting a house/villa for the week, rather than staying in a hotel. We like to feel like we are locals! If anyone would be so kind as to guide me in the right direction - Normandy or Burgundy? Which is more laid back? Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Also.....any good suggestions on rentals?
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM

You won't find much wine in Normandy. It's cider country. But either one would make for a nice week's trip, and both are fairly laid back at that time of year. They really are like two different countries, though, so I would do further research to determine if your interests lie more in D-Day beaches and history or pretty villages in wine country.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM

While visiting Paris we took 2 day trips outside the city. We took a tour up to the village/monastary Mont St. Michel beyond the Normandy area on the Coastline. You must do research on this area, it was phenomenal.
Too much info to share in this space.
We also took a day trip tour of Chateaus and a couple of wineries in the Loire Valley,South/West of Paris.Some of the chateaus have their own wineries. Absolutely gorgeous !!! Again another outstanding day.But more to our liking.
We actually wished we would have had a car.
So you must choose what you and your husband would enjoy together.
Research is half the fun, to me.
Next September 2010 we are planning a trip to Italy and then over to the French Rivera,Arles,Avignon and then down to Carcassonne. I can hardly wait. We are a little apprehensive about going to France,because we speak very little French, but we have visited Paris 3 times and we have never had a bad experience.
I can't imagine you not having a fantastic time no matter where you choose to go.
P.S.Our first trip to Paris we stayed in a Hotel close to the Eiffel tower.
Inexpensive with no AC in July...whooo.But cozy.
Our 2nd trip we used a company called "Paris Perfect",they have their own website.It was a Beautiful apartment near the Eiffel tower.
Our 3rd stay we used a company based out of the UK--our apartment was awful.Nothing against the UK, just that company.
We have found that staying at B&B's are our favorite.
We really enjoy the personal touch and we are typical Americans who love breakfast,more than a croissant.
Enjoy your trip, I know you will
Sally