Reload this Page >

First Time Visit to Paris, France Sept 2010

Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
rjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Pari this Sept. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive/moderately priced hotel, what arrondisments are recommended to stay in. Also we plan to spend abouty 4-5 days in Paris. Is that enough time or too much?

We also want to drive out to Normandy (my father was a paratrooper in WW!II), and visit the cities nearby such as Caen, Rouen, and La Havre (or any other suggestions you may have).

Lastly, would you recommend when we arrive from the US into Paris, that we then drive to the Normandy area to visit for 4 days (give or take) and then head to Paris since we'd be flying back home from there, or do you think we'll be too jet-lagged to make the 2-3 hour drive and should visit Paris first then head to Normandy. However, we'd have to stil drive back to Paris to fly home.

Sorry for all the qeustions. This is all new to me and I appreciate all the good advice from you fellow posters!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM

I can't help you with the hotel accommodations as I am in the process of looking as well. When we last went to Paris we stayed in the Marais in an apartment and we absolutely loved it! If you are spending a week there you might want to consider renting an apartment. There are plenty of threads regarding apartments available here.

But as far as the time you have in Paris is concerned...some time is better than none! We went to France in 2007 and rented a car immediately after arriving at CDG. We drove to Giverny and then to Honfleur in the same day. Yes, we were jet lagged but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless. I had detailed directions and my husband had no trouble finding our way around. He has always done the driving where ever we find ourselves and I do the navigating. Works best for us.

We spent the next day in Honfleur and then left the following morning to see a few sights in Normandy. We stayed in Bayeux and took a tour with Victory Tours to see the beaches. We were very pleased with our tour host. It was just the four of us (husband, me and 2 adult children) on the tour so we had a wonderful time.

After that portion of the trip we went back to Paris and spent about 6 or 7 days there. We only scratched the surface of the places we wanted to see. My husband and I are actually returning in August, but unfortunately only have 2 1/2 days for Paris. But..again...some time is better than no time!

I posted a partial trip report if you would like to check it out--- http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-france.cfm

Unfortunately, I never finished it but it should give you some ideas. Have a wonderful time in Paris!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM

Define inexpensive?
I'd stay in the 4-6th, as a first time visitor.
Not enough time, but a good start
Some people have..picked up car at airport, Start off, stop at the Colombe D'Or in Andelys to sleep, then carried on.

You have options in regards to the car: airport rent and return, train to Normandy then rent and return there train back, train to normandy rent car there drive back to airport.

Easiest..I'd say rent in Normandy. Take train from central Paris to, say Caen, then tour, back to Caen in train to Paris.

The only part I feel qualified to respond to (and virtually everyone who posts messages here is likely to agree) is that you could easily spend months in Paris and not run out of interesting things to see and do. You will get advice about how best to think about dividing up 4-5 days, but in part it depends on your interests: whether you prefer inside vs. outside sights; shopping or being out among "the people;" museums, entertainment, or churches, etc.

BTW, you might not get to do much on the day you arrive, and depending on your flight back, there may be little time on that day either.

You should probably locate near the main tourist attractions, although many of the hotels there are moderate at best. You are planning far enough ahead to be able to shop around. Most people would probably suggest the 4th, 6th, or 7th arrondissements.

Don't worry--you will get lots of good advice here.
rjs
Original Poster

Thank you so much, normal1983. I appreciate the info~
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
rjs
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great advice! Keep it coming!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM

We're some of those who stayed at La Chaine d'Or in Les Andelys, and it is a great stopover for that first sleep-deprived, jet-lagged day. It's a lovely old inn alone the Seine and is known for its excellent dining.
The next day we drove to Honfleur stopping along the way in Rouen for lunch. And then on to Bayeux the following day. We returned the car in Caen a few days later and took the train into Paris. Worked well for us.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM

whoops-typo--"along" the Seine.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:39 PM

Chaine d'Or!!...goes to show how fragile memory can be
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

4-5 days too much time to spend in Paris????? NEVER!
Enjoy your first trip. It's my absolute favorite place to be.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM

Have you driven in Europe before? I think your comfort level would make a difference about whether you would be up for the drive to Normandy.

Depending on where you are flying from jet lag can make a big difference in your fatigue level. Since we fly from California, I would never consider making a long drive after the flight as we are usually pretty tired. You can also never be sure if you will have flight delays that will add to your flight time. However, the suggestions from those in the know above about the Chaine d'Or sound worth investigating.

As far as 4-5 days in Paris, I think there is no such thing as too much time in Paris.

There are several threads on this board that you will easily find if you do a search about hotels on the left and right banks in Paris. If you give us an idea of your budget and the type of place you are looking for, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM

This is a great place in the Marais and very reasonably priced for a great location.

http://www.hoteljeannedarc.com/
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
ira

hi rjs

Paris is worth a week, or a lifetime if you have the time.

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 134E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

You might also find these helpful.

Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35095155

Jacquemart-André Museum
http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en/jacquemart/

Whether to go on to Normandy or overnight in Paris is up to you. 3 hr is the max I would do in a jet-lagged condition.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:58 AM

I'd also advise stopping in Les Andelys and continue on to Normandy the next day.

We stayed in this well located hotel a few months ago and were quite satisfied
http://www.familiahotel.com/

There is never enough time in Paris for me and we've stayed for up to a month at a time. Going back in Oct for 3 more weeks.

Don't know your dates in Sept. but a really fun thing to do is the Melac Vendange

http://www.metropoleparis.com/2004/938/938wine.html
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM

rjs, we usually drive out directly from CDG when we travel to France. We have driven to Bayeux in Normandy after our arrival and another time to Rouen. We are traveling from the east coast of the US so jet lag is a consideration.

If you do a search for the driving distance and time CDG to Bayeux on viamichelin it will give you an idea of how long it will take and the recommended route. My husband and I try not to drive more than 3 hours after an international flight. We also change drivers more often and use a gps

What is your budget for a hotel room per night? Its good to be looking early in your research for hotel rooms because I don't consider September a slow travel season in Paris. I have some favorite hotels in the 5th, one of which is the Hotel College de France. Have fun doing your research Deborah
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:04 AM

I would not get off an overnight flight jetlagged and then head right out on a 3 hour drive - esp if you haven;t driven in europe before. Visit Paris first and then pickup a car and hed out to Normandy. How long you spend in paris depends on what your must sees are. No way is 5 days to long - I've beenmore than a dozen times and always find new things I must see.

As for hotels - if you give a budget people can make specific recos.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:22 AM

Suggestion

In Paris, we prefer no breakfast included at our hotel. You are never more than a couple of blocks from a patisserie -- and places for take-out coffee are getting more numerous. Paris also has great produce markets and open-air farmers markets. We do this:

-- Buy some fruit at one of the open air markets. In September you should be able to put it out on your balcony for a few days without spoiling.

-- Each morning drop by the patisserie and take your pick of the delights.

-- If you want coffee, many will groan at this, but there are a number of places like McDonalds and Starbucks that have take-out coffee.

-- Take it back to your hotel and enjoy a wonderfule breakfast of fruit, pastry and coffee while you plan out the days events.

When in Paris, we always forward to our little morning walk for our breakfast goodies each day.

[BTW - we stayed at the Hotel de Nice on the west edge of the Marais last time there - reasonable price, great location, clean. http://www.hoteldenice.com/ ]

SS
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

My last trip, there was a cafe at the end of the street that became my 'local'. I'd go their every morning, have a nice cafe creme, OJ and croissant, plan my day, people watch a bit, and then off I'd go.

I know a lot of people like the idea of breakfast in the room or eating in hotel restaurant...to me, I'm in Paris, I want to optimize my time "in the city", being more like a local, so eating breakfast at a cafe accomplishes that for me. And price wise, I think I can do better also
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
rjs
Original Poster

First off, thank you all for your invaluable advice and suggestions! I guess I would prefer a hotel of moderate price, which I'm not sure what that would really be in Paris! Maybe around $100-$150 a night.
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM

As I mentioned above this is a wonderful place in one of the best locations in Paris. Looks like you can get a double for 90 euros. They are popular, so must book in advance.

http://www.hoteljeannedarc.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -