paris to rome sleeper train

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Lara

paris to rome sleeper train

I just read something that even if you have a eurail pass, in order to reserve a sleeper car you must pay an extra fare to reserve it. Does anyone know how much the "extra fee" is? And how do I reserve it?

Also, has anyone been on the sleeper from paris to rome, venice to paris or florence to paris?? Just wondering how the trip is

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Myer

I've slept in a sleeper several times. Venice-Naples. Rome_Nice. Nice-Paris. Florence-Paris among others.
Don't confise a 1st or 2nd class couchette with a sleeper.
A sleeper is a private room for 2 people with one bed above the other. There is a fold down sink (toilet on the car but not in the room). Sometimes they serve dinner or breakfast, sometimes not.
They a reasonably comfortable, however, if you are a light sleeper you won't get the same night's sleep you would in a quiet hotel room. You have to understand the train is moving and makes several stops on route.
On the positive side you save a day of travelling by doing it at night.
You won't save money, you'll save vacation time. The cost is around 75. per person. It goes by the distance.
Call RailEurope or the Italian rail company in Chicago (I think).
I use the German train system for their excellent schedule. Go to the site and spend some time there. You can see when each train leaves and arrive, the services (sleeper, etc), and how many changes if any. You want to at least make sure if you have to change trains it not in the middle of the night.
Also, having a train pass gets you on the train but not a guarantee of a seat on the train. Depending on the time of year and the type of train you there may not be any seats available or on some trains you must reserve. The train web site tells you this.
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:53 PM
YS

I've booked a point-to-point one way ticket from Paris to Rome on sncf site (www.sncf.com) for about 290USD for two peple travelling in "first class double" compartment. I'm assuming SNCF refers to a two-berth sleeper...

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Myer

Tha sounds right. About $85. each for the sleeper and about $60. each for a ticket. I assume you don't have a rail pass.

Jul 17th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Frank

Lara,
My wife and I took the overnight train from Paris to Rome last year. I thought it would be different and enjoyable, but have to agree with the previous reply that you will not get a good night sleep if you are a lite sleeper. The motion of the train and the frequent stops kept me awake all night long. We had a private room with upper and lower beds, of course I got the upper and was reminded that heat rises. UGH! We ate dinner in the dining car and enjoyed the views of the French countryside as ate and drank. The meal was nothing special and quite expensive. Overall the experience was great, meeting and talking to the Italian conductor who made us feel like his family as he turned down beds and brought snacks and breakfast. I don't recall the price for that portion of the trip, but it may be in line with the price of an airline ticket. Good luck.
Frank

Jul 17th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Ben Haines

For the night train from Paris to Rome there's no need to check the German Raul web site. As people have said, the Palatino runs from the Gare de Bercy at 1909 to Rome Termini at 0957. It has a restaurant car, and:-
1 and 2 berth sleepers with their own shower, washbasin and toilet
1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers with washbasins, toilet down the corridor, and no shower
4 and 6 berth couchette compartments with washbasins and toilets down the corridor, and no showers. The train has no first class couchettes

RailEurope take a twenty percent (or more) mark up, and don't know their trains as well as French Rail (SNCF) do, so I use the website http://voyages.sncf.fr/hs_reservatio...tion&langue=GB to find the phone number, and book on the phone to Paris, for collection in Paris.

The train stops briefly at 2150, 0022, 0504, 0607, and 0653: I'm not sure I'd call these "frequent" stops. But it's very true that if you don't sleep you don't sleep.

Iran and Pakistan apart, no sleeper services serve dinner in the compartment. On this train you can dine in the restaurant car (though others say the meal is nothing special, and a picnic is a better idea), and they serve you a light breakfast in your sleeper, as in many sleepers. I usually take a bit of cheese to add bite to the meal.

There is a heating control, and the compartment is small enough to allow both of two passengers to be in roughly the same temperature.

I am sending you with the e-mail copy of this message a copy of my note to disc on getting value out of sleeper journeys. It's on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.

Ben Haines

Jul 17th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Erin

Lara - I've been from Paris to Venice, Florence to Barcelona, and Barcelona to Paris. I took the 6 person room sleeper from Paris to Venice - about $50 extra I think with a Eurail pass. The trip was okay - however the sheets were very itchy - make sure you have a jacket or shirt to cover the pillow to protect your face.

We got ours when we showed up at the train - literally. We had the Eurail pass, and paid on the spot to get upgraded. But that was in Nov. with few tourists. Check with the ticket agent first.

I agree with sleeping on top - make sure you get a middle or lower bed.

I took a reclined seat the rest of the trip to save money, however my sleep was definitely deprived. Take any kind of sleeper that you can afford - you'll be able to much better enjoy the vacation you paid for.

Good luck.