Hotels at Victoria Station?

Jun 24th, 2001, 05:50 AM
badger

Hotels at Victoria Station?

Has anyone stayed in the immediate area of London Victoria Station at a reasonably priced hotel they can reccommend?
I know it will be relatively expensive but am mostly interested in quality commensurate with the price.
Thks much!

Jun 24th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Pauline

We stayed at the Chesham House Hotel on Ebury St. which is just a few blocks from Victoria Station. We walked to the hotel with our luggage on wheels.
We paid 55 pounds for a double room without bathroom per night which included a full English breakfast. They also have rooms with bathroom.
The telephone is 0207/730-8513
Fax 0207/730-1845.
We found it to be quite adequate for our needs. Our room was not large or luxurious but we didn't go to London to stay in our room.

Jun 24th, 2001, 07:53 PM
elvira

http://www.ardenhotel.com/

very basic, but clean, about 10mins walk to Victoria on a very quiet street. Good Thai restaurant about 1/2 block away.

Jun 24th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Florence

I was at the Arden Hotel 1 month ago, very clean and convenient. The rooms at the back "benefit" from the noise of the trains entering and leaving Victoria station. It's not a very strong noise since the trains go very slowly at this stage, but people with a light sleep should ask a room looking on the street.

Jun 25th, 2001, 05:58 AM
justtrying

Badger: If you can, try searching for "Ebury", which is a street close to Victoria w/ a number of small hotels. I have read and/or contributed on a number of such posts. Good luck!

Jun 25th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Linda

I know you didn't ask about restaurants in that area but if you do stay there, do not, I repeat, DO NOT eat at the Shakespeare Pub. It looks like a charming restaurant. But it was the one bad decision of my last one-week trip to London. First, it was VERY tourist-filled. Food was, at best, mediocre. Most of my mussels were not open, so I didn't dare eat them. Service was almost non-existent. I don't mind waiting for service, but appreciate that my waiter at least glance in my direction to let me know he's aware of my presence. Took one-half hour before he approached us. After he bought the bad (?) mussels I told him about them and he gave me a free coke--WOW!?! Then we were bussled out so they could make room for more suckers. I'll not make that mistake again.

Jun 25th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Kathy

Ditto the suggestion on "Ebury". We stayed at the Tophams Belgravia on Ebury Ct. and were pleased with the acccomodations. The restaurant was excellent. The street is very quiet but a very short walk away from Victoria.

Jun 26th, 2001, 04:00 AM
linda

badger, I second Tophams Belgravia. The public rooms are charming, particularly the breakfast room. The bedrooms were sweet and clean. The staff was friendly.

It is a short walk from Victoria Station.

linda

Jul 17th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Christy

We stayed at the Holly House Hotel on Hugh Street, less than a 5-min walk from Victoria Station. Very reasonably priced and the rooms are okay. Nothing fancy but we only wanted a place to lay our weary heads at the end of the day. We got a 5-person ensuite family room for only 90 pounds, including a continental breakfast. Very reasonable.

We also ate at the Shakespeare Pub that someone mentioned above, but we really enjoyed it! We had traditional newspaper-wrapped fish 'n chips, and it was delicious. We also had good service and a very friendly waitress. I'd definitely recommend it...but I guess it all depends on what day you go.

Jul 17th, 2001, 01:12 PM
mimi

In the late 1980's we stayed at a delightful small hotel called the Ebury. It was made up of a couple of Georgian houses and we had a room with a canopy bed and a fireplace. It was moderate price then and only a few blocks from the station. It had a full English breakfast which was served in the basement of the old house. We found this hotel in guide books but it is probably on the internet. Be careful for some of the small hotels in this location looked a little seedy.

Jul 17th, 2001, 01:22 PM
mimi taylor

years ago I stayed several times at THE GROSvenor, the victorium hotel right at victoria station. There is an entrance right in the hotel to the station which was very convenient . The rooms were clean, the help, very friendly, helpful shops and cocktail lounges.

Jul 17th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Ben Haines

I agree on the Shakespeare pub opposite Victoria station. There's much better good downstairs and up at the Albert pub, on the corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street.

The fish and chips at the Shakespeare are frozen fish, heated in an infra red grill. Real fish and chips are down at the Coach Station, fifty yards west of the ,msain entry.

I've recorded these useful notes on reasonable hotels near Victoria, for use in answering future queries. I see Victoria and the Strand as the two most central areas for hotels.

Ben Haines, London