Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I get from the bus station to the train station in Florence in @25 minutes?

Jul 17th, 2001, 02:27 AM
Linda

It seems like the earliest bus from Siena to Florence is at 6:30am, which will get us into Florence around 7:45. Can we reasonably make it to catch our train at 8:13? Are buses usually on time, or should I leave more time? How much more time? And if I've made a reservation for 8:13 but miss the train, I assume i can reserve for the next train out, provided there is space using a rail pass? Thanks, I would really appreciate input on this one.

Jul 17th, 2001, 02:43 AM
Tracy

The bus station and train station are practically next door to each other, so you should have no trouble, if the bus and/or train is running. The trouble we ran into was that buses and trains don't always run when they say they will, and we ran into lots of people having the same trouble. So be prepared for aggravation.

Jul 17th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Ursula

Trains in Italy are definitely not always ON time. But they are more likely to be late, rather than too early. That was my experience, when I spent a couple of months in Florence.

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Linda

Dear Tracy and Ursula,

Duh! I didn't know they were right next to each other. I had run a google search, but couldn't come up with anything. I'm so glad there are people to answer my questions. Having said that, can either of you tell me what happens if I miss my train at 8:13 that I had reserved? Do I need to repay the supplemental or is there more to it than I'm assuming? Thanks.

Jul 17th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Judy

I took many buses while traveling in Tuscany, more than half were late from 10 minutes to 1/2 hour.

once I missed a train, I had to pay for the reservation again to book anoth one.

Jul 17th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Linda

Thanks Judy. I suppose it's safest to arrived in plenty of time to catch the train. Hmmm...looks as if we might have to catch a later one.