Paris to Reims/Troyes

Search

Paris to Reims/Troyes

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Reims/Troyes

I was hoping to get some information for friends we are travelling with to France at the end of the month. We are going to Paris and the the Burgundy region for a boat trip on the Nivernais. Prior to the boat trip our friends will be in Paris and then will spend 4-5 days in and around Champagne/Beaune/Dijon. They will also be travelling with a bicycle. Where would the 'experts' on this region suggest they pick up a car? In Paris? If so, where so that they don't have much driving in Paris, or should they train to Reims or Troyes and pick up the car there. My husband and I will be meeting up with them later for the boat trip so I am just trying to help them out. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and I promise to do a trip report when we return!
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Is anyone out there??? Any replies?
Thanks
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:31 PM

Chefbarb, I don't have much to tell you, but at least my reply will bump you back up to the top for anyone else who knows more. What I do know is that when I inquired at Autoeurope about getting a bicycle rack on a rental car, I was told that bicycle racks are not available on rental cars. So, if your friends will have the bike with them in Paris, maybe it would be easier to travel with the bike by train?
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:42 PM

Why not pick up the car in Dijon? But Troyes is a nice town, well worth a visit.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:03 AM

Chefbarb,
When my husband and I were in Paris we rented a car at the Orly Airport which is south of the city and then drove to Beaune and then onto Rheims. The drive from the Orly airport to Beaune was very easy.
We did not have a bicycle so can't help with that aspect.
Hope this info helps!
Diane
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:49 AM

to the top with Dijon photos :
http://www.ofoto.fr/BrowsePhotos.jsp...id=43499444733
I wouldn't pick up the car in Paris but in Reims or Dijon according to where you're taking the boat.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM

ttt
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! They are picking the car up at Orly- They bring their own bike rack- we did the same thing a few years ago in Ireland and it worked out well. There are four of us total that are meeting to do a one week trip on the Nivernais- really looking forward to it, as my husband and I did the Canal du Midi a few years ago and loved it! We rented the cheesy little bikes that they provided through Locaboat and they were certainly sufficient for little trips to the market or into town but one of our party really likes to ride so he is bringing his own- I don't even want to think how difficult it will be arriving in Paris and staying for a few days lugging that bike around...
I am sure it will be worth a few laughs in my trip report!
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM

A couple of years ago we picked up a car at DeGaulle and drove to Reims. It only took about an hour & a half and you don't go through Paris at all.