Paris to Provence (which route is best)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Provence (which route is best)

Here I go again - changing my plans:
Plan One:
- Fly into Paris - pick up car - drive to Amboise - stay two nites.
- visit chateuxs, etc
- drive to Sarlat - stay three nites
- drive to Carcasonne via ALbi stay in Carcasonne the nite
- drive to Provence (stay 4-5 nites)
stay at either Avignon or St. Remy - which is a better base?
- TVG to Paris - 5 nites there.

OR
Plan TWO:

Fly into Paris - car - to Auxerre. stay the nite
- visit Vezelay - drive to Beaune- Stay 2 nites
- drive to Annecy - stay two nites
- drive to Provence
same as plan 1.

re: the TVG- can I book now for May? DO I have to wait to be within the 60 day booking for on-line of can I call them now directly and reserve. It is vital that I have seats on the TVG or these plans won't work.

Thanks for any imput.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM

One approach is to use mappy or viamichelin to determine the amount of driving you are willing to do between locations to see which routes are reasonable. Times on autoroutes can be fairly accurate, other roads less so. And then there is time needed to find your way through towns, locating the hotel or place of interest, etc. Then there is the amount of time you are willing to spend on the autoroute vs the more senic back roads.

You may decide to cover less ground and have more time to enjoy yourself in the places you do select.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM

I would choose the Dordogne route, because it does have more variety (the Loire chateaux, and the Dordogne, and Albi and Carcassonne).
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM

They are very different countrysides you pass through and one is more ambitious than the other.

I would go the Auxerret route if you are into architecture and a more relaxed trip.

I love all that your Loire/Dordogne option includes and like to be on the move, so I prefer this busier, varied option. I prefer smaller towns and have been to Avignon enough times that I would stay in St. Remy. It all boils down to personal choice.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Have been pondering this same question. My tentative itinerary also includes Paris, Provence and Loire. I will probably TGV to Aix (if it goes there), but am dithering about the route back. If I want to go fairly directly from Provence to Amboise (but NOT on the freeways), how many days should I plan for that to take?
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM

As others have said, it boils down to personal choice, but I'd choose the route that takes you through the Dordogne. You won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:12 PM

I'd pick the itinerary that takes you through Burgundy. And yes, the TGV goes into the sleek new Aix train station, located outside the town. You need a car or a taxi to get into Aix from the station.

Going from Provence to the Loire valley would be a whole day's drive if you don't go by the autoroute.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 10:08 PM

Flaca1,

While both plans seem ambitious, I'd go with Burgundy/Alps. I can tell you the drive from Annency to Provence is really pretty. You will enter Provence on the path less taken (the department of the Alps de Hautes Provence). A couple of great towns along the way are Sisteron and Forqualquier and Apt once you get into the Luberon. We live just outside of Apt if you want some info on the area.

Bon voyage!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM

The Dordogne is a beautiful area. My family lives near there and we did a lot of driving around the area. If you are planning to go to Sarlat, you should try to go to Rocamodour east of Sarlat (off the N 140) - it is built on a hillside and has a very pretty church - the town is built on three levels. Lots to see. There are some underground caverns - Gouffre de Padirac nearby at Loubrssac. Also some near Belcastel - Grottes de Lacave.
These are on your way to Albi.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

My plans are set and I went with plan A.
All BnB's are booked and I am ready to go, God willing.
Thanks for all in sharing ideas. Will report later.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:58 AM

Wondering how the trip went!