Paris to Florence

Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Paris to Florence

As a result of changing my frequent flyer ticket to spend some time in Paris, I'm having a hard time getting from Paris to Florence. My two options are CDG-FCO-FLR with a 4-hour layover in Rome, but my flight would arrive in Florence about the same time as my husband's flight. Or I can fly CDG-MXP, and take a train to Florence. I would be by myself, and don't speak Italian. Is this something I could on my own with luggage - with no tears? I would then have to get from the train station to the hotel, also. What would you do?
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi DD,

I think that I would rather spend 4 hr waiting at FCO and meeting my spouse at FLR than schlepping luggage from MXP to Milan Centrale and then on and off the train to Florence.

Has nothing to do with being by yourself or not speaking Italian.

Bring the latest Harry Potter book. It will keep you occupied.

Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM

Hi DebDen, I agree with Ira..you could get something to eat and drink, people watch, read whatever at FCO. Arriving at the Florence airport where your husband will be would seem much easier and more relaxing to me.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM

Hi DebDen - I think I'd opt for ... Plan Z

Easyjet: Paris (Orly) to Pisa.

www.easyjet.com

Florence is about one hour from Pisa airport by bus:

http://www.terravision.it/florence_pisa.html

- or train:

www.trenitalia.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:09 PM

How about taking a train from Paris to Italy - why bother stopping in Milan?

This past spring, I took the night train from Florence to Paris. I bought the tickets at the last minute so my daughter & I shared a room with a family who were from Chile & Spain & didn't speak any English and we don't speak Spanish, but they were quite friendly. You can get a more private room, although it costs more, if you have your act together and don't wait until the last minute to get your tickets.

It's about 13 hours but we slept for eight, the views were lovely, you don't have to show up 2 hours ahead of time and go thru security. I'd definitely do it again.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

I did check easy jet - it was about $300 - still less than the $800 City Jet or Alitalia flight. I'm using FF miles. I also considered the train, but my husband is flying! His company has already booked his ticket,and he can't leave the night before due to meetings. So I think I'll keep checking for a better flight, then ticket the reservation through Rome, even though it means a 4 hour layover. Thanks for all your thoughts
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
rex

$300 on easyJet? for which dates? and $800 for Alitalia? Is this in the next few days?

I wonder if the problem is partly that you are checking one-way fares; I don't know when you need to travel, but for arbitrary dates in October, I see fares in the 170 GBP range on the opodo.co.uk website - - for round trip (just throw away the return flight)... and this is for nonstop CDG-FLR on Alitalia, with no four hour layover.

Easyjet fares do not depend on roundtrip travel. Again for arbitrary dates in October, I see fares of 31-58 euro (before taxes).

Best wishes,

Rex