Paris - things to do near La Defense for kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I've been getting some strange errors from Fodors tonight...hope this isn't a double post)

We'll be traveling to Paris with two families that have 4 children ages 8 to 14. My two are in the younger end of that range. They've been dreaming about their trip on Google Earth and with the 3D building capability of Google Earth they have found La Defense. I believe it was the square Grande Arche with the hole in the middle that caught their attention. So we're going to take a subway ride from the Arc de Triomphe down to La Defense subway stop to check out the area.

From what I've read this is mainly a business district. Does anyone know if there would be anything near the subway station that would be on interest to kids in our range? Even if there's not much "touristy" stuff to do down there we'll still go just to check out the buildings. But I thought it would be nice if there was something else beyond the square building to draw us down there.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

ttt for one more try
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM

La Défense is a business district with nothing for tourists nor particularly anything for children. This is not a part of Paris in which I should suggest anyone stay unless he had a specific business interest.

There are a good number of places for children in Paris but none is near La Défense.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM

La Defense and the arch are cool to see, though. The neatest thing is looking back toward the center of Paris and seeing the Arc de Triomphe in line with the Grand Arch. You could go by the Eiffel Tower on the way back -- I think there's an RER line that goes to La Defense with a stop at the Eiffel Tower.

Have fun!
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:22 AM
ira

Hi W,

The best thing about La Defense is that you can see the Grand Arch from The Arc de Triomph and vice versa.

If you start at Pl Concorde and walk up the Champs Elysee, you will reach a point where you can view the GA through the AdT.

take a look at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...d-393567-2.cfm

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM

I once had an office in La Defense; it is a sterile, concrete place that could be anywhere in the US. Never saw any kids there either. Avoid.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking it wouldn't have much for children. They're set on seeing the cool buildings down there though. I'll have to see how the week plays out and if we have time.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM

No but a half day at Aqua Boulevard may be something the tykes will love - a vast indoor swimming pools with slides, etc - really popular with Parsian families.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM

and it's really close to Arc de Triomphe area

Aquaboulevard Water Park In Paris is a large aquatic indoor recreational water park that is in Paris and there a very few cities that can boast the ...
http://www.placesinfrance.com/aquabo...ark_paris.html

Aquaboulevard - [ Translate this page ]www.aquaboulevard.com/ - France
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Well, the arch itself is kind of cool to look at, isn't that the whole point of what they were interested in? It has a good shopping mall, if you want to save shopping for that time. You don't just look at the arch, you can go up to the top, makes as much sense as folks who want to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, after all, and there are thousands of them.

It's not right at the Arch, which is offices and shops, but not far away is the Jardin d'Acclimation and the museum of traditional and popular arts, which I think kids would enjoy. I did, anyway (not the Jardin which is a small park with rides for small kids, but the museum). You have to get out at Sablons metro stop and walk a little bit to the west to get there, but it's not far. I think they have some stuff for older kids, too, ziplines and other things.
http://www.jardindacclimatation.fr/
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd definitely take them to la Defense - the area is huge and the only part you'd really need to visit are the Arch and maybe some of the plaza and fountains in front of it.

Go up to the top of the Arche -- The elevator ride alone is worth the trip. Besides the views, there are rotating art exhibits, an outdoor observation deck. I wouldn't spend a lot of time there -- but it is an experience they probably wouldn't forget.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Hi,

Per the website, the elevator ride to the top of the Grande Arche is closed - with no date indicated for reopening.

http://www.grandearche.com/

Sandy
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM

There are many "cool' buildings IN Paris.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM

It was closed recently when we were there. It's still a great site from the outside. There are some colorful art statues near it the kids might enjoy.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM

Oh - that is too bad. In that case -- I see no reason to go out to la Defense.

(The English language version of that website doesn't mention it being closed. Maybe they just want to lure unsuspecting visitors out there )
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM

Here is more info from the wikipedia entry:

>>After a non-injury accident in the elevators in April 2010, the Department of Ecology, owner of the roof of the Grande Arche, has decided to permanently close the computer museum, restaurant, and viewing deck. Access to the roof is still possible via the elevators in the north and south walls, but they are closed to the public.<<
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM

I don't know -- it's worth seeing, especially if your kids saw it and want to see it. Doesn't take long to go and walk around. Then you could head back, stop at Porte Dauphine metro stop and go to Bois de Boulogne -- just leave before dusk
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM

I probably wouldn't go there if you couldn't go to the top, either, but it may depend what else you have to do with your time. FOr example, it is on the way back from visiting Josephine's house, Malmaison out at Rueil Malmaison (if you take the bus back, you go right to La Defense). However, I probalby wouldn't put that at the top of list for a family with young children, even though I really enjoyed seeing it. You kind of have to be interested in her and history, though. Same for the gardens in Bois de BOulogne, the rose garden is very nice--maybe children would like being in a park more than some museum.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

That's too bad the elevator and roof are closed. With that being said maybe I can get by with them looking down the Champs-Élysées from the Arc de Triomphe.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
When people ask what to do with kids on their travels, the frequent response here is that you should let your kids do some research and come up with their own ideas. Here the OP's kids have done the research and found a sight they really want to see. I think that's great. If, after being told what the situation is, and that they can't go up to the top of the arch, the kids still want to go, and it fits into the rest of the plans, it seems to me it's worth a couple of extra stops on the metro to reward their efforts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -