Paris then what?

Search

Paris then what?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris then what?

Planning on visiting Paris this summer for the 3rd time. We've gone through Provance to Nice in the past and are now looking to see new areas. We plan on taking a few days in Normandy. What suggestions do you have for about 4-6 additional days? Loire Valley (Tours), Burgundy (Dejon), St. Emilion, etc? We like castles, red wine etc. but don't want to spend more than 4 hours or so on a train on any one day. How many days in each area would be appropriate? Thanks for the help
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Are you planning on trains only, or renting a car?

I've driven the Loire valley, and you could fill your time there with castles, vineyards, old towns,etc...

There have been many discussions on this forum about trips to the Dordogne...another good possibility.

Brittany would be another area that you might want to consider.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It will be time to test the TGV-Est towards Reims, Metz, Nacy, Strasbourg. Fastest train in the world. It will officially break the world speed record next week and rumor has it that it might even try for 580 km/h. The current record is "only" 515.3 km/h held by the TGV Atlantique.

Unfortunately, the normal commercial speed will be 320 km/h.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Bordeaux, of course, is famous for its red wines. Not exactly castles, but there are chateaux. I'd recommend that you stay in a country house outside the city of Bordeaux itself - we weren't knocked out by the moderately priced hotels available in early August last year. I think the TGV train ride was about 3.5 hours in each direction (pick up a rental car at the airport).

We also toured the Champagne region by car last summer and had a great time. Again, no castles or chateaux - but some very entertaining tours of flashy champagne houses - and some excellent champagne tastings at the smaller, independent houses. We stayed in Troyes (SE) and Reims (North), and weren't terribly impressed with Epernay. The champagne region is only an hour or so by train from Paris. Again, you could take the train and then rent a car and putter around. The scenery was lovely. Here is a link to last summer's trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34845706

I didn't write a trip report for Bordeaux, but I made a few suggestions in this thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34912873

This summer, we're going to spend a few days in the Loire Valley and few days in Burgundy. If we have time, we're also going to go back to Alsace.

If you like wine, you should also visit Lavinia, a huge wineshop in Paris. Late on Saturday afternoons, there are usually one or two wine producers offering free tastings. They also have a small wine bar. If your French is good, you can also sign up for tutored tastings of about 2-3 hours.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
ira

Hi J,

A. TGVEst to Strasbourg and a driving tour through Alsace and Germany.

B. Train to Dijon and a driving tour through Burgundy.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

with my sense of direction and my wifes inability to read a map, I think I'll have to stick to the trains and tours. Thanks for the quick responses. Anyone else have suggestions?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM

With the number of days that you have, the Loire Valley or Burgundy would best fit into a desire to not spend more than 4 hours on a train on a given day. St. Emilion (Bordeaux) is 3 1/2 hours by train from Paris; I don't know specifically, but I think Tours and Dijon would be closer (by train). I believe that for any of those destinations, from Normandy you would have to return to Paris, then take the train from there.

The Dordogne is a beautiful area; it's east of Bordeaux. It would take more time than you have, if you also wanted to spend time in Bordeaux, and I don't know how many tours of the Dordogne are available - a car is the way to go in the Dordogne.

You could possibly visit both the Loire and Burgundy, but I'm not sure of the train situation - it might be that you would have to take the train from Tours back north to Paris, then back south (southeast) to Dijon.

As was already pointed out, the Loire will have the most castles, but the wine arguably isn't of the stature of Burguny or Bordeaux, so it depends on which you want more of.

In all of those areas, we've had a rental car, so I can't tell you what tours of those areas would consist of. You might want to reconsider your "no car" decision - you'll see a lot more, at your own pace, in a car. And so what if you get lost, you're on vacation!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Before you conclude that you can't do a driving tour, read my trip report on Champagne. (Granted, my husband is a good driver, but I'm a terrible navigator.) Besides, getting lost is half the fun in France.

That said, you should be able to arrange tours either in the Champagne Region or Bordeaux. You can visit the large champagne houses in the major towns (Epernay and Reims) on your own and book them yourself. But you might want to consider booking a tour to visit the medium-sized producers in the countryside.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Just wanted to post an enthusiastic recommendation for the Loire Valley. It's close to Paris (no long train rides), there are plenty of things to do and see in the area (including wineries), and it's GORGEOUS!

Trip review from 4 days spent in the Loire:
http://tinyurl.com/35jqb4

Tours is nice, but a larger city and doesn't (IMO) have the charm of some of the smaller towns. I would stay elsewhere. You can easily take the train into Tours, pick up a rental car, and head out from there. I definitely suggest Amboise as a base for at least some of your time. Check out the lovely Chateau Des Ormeaux, which is where we stayed and absolutely adored. You could also spend a couple of nights in the east of the valley if you like. We also stayed a night in Saumur and thought it was a nice area. We had 4 days in the Loire altogether and could happily have stayed longer.

Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM

then heaven..
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM

What about hopping into Italy or Switzerland? They are nice and are close to France. If your going to Nice make sure to check out Eze Village and Monacco. Aix-on-Provence is nice but even better is Marseille. Nice comes to mind.

You might even want to consider booking a cheap ticket with ryanair and go to a different country whether it's close or not. It's possible, easy and not expensive.

Good Luck

Theresa

www.nomadwannabe.com