Paris then South

Search

Paris then South

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris then South

What recommendations do people have for companies that book independent packages for France. Want to start in Paris and work our way to Nice but don't want to book everything a la carte. Would prefer to have it all done by one company.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM

Company or travel agent?
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM
ira

Hey pg,

I'll do the whole thing for you.

Send me $350 per day per person and I shall send you tickets, vouchers, etc.

You get a discount rate of $2200/week.

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM

There are travel agents who will do this whole thing for you, of course, you'd have to find one who specialized in France. I know Conde Nast Traveler magazine publishes a list of regional experts like that about once a year. Of course, that is high-end travel.

I'm not familiar with any packages that cover a long itinerary, only those for specific cities, or maybe 2-3 major cities (capitals). I have never seen one that covered any city other than Paris or maybe Nice in France. Of course, check Air France, they have some good packages.

There may be some tours that cover more, but for a package, I have never seen or heard of one that covers smaller cities along a long itinerary. I think SNCF covers some rail plus drive packages, and might throw in hotels, not sure, but you'd have to patch it together yourself at various places you intended to stay.

Here's one that has been around a long time and they do have one for Provence, but it's just a couple nights in Avignon, then Aix.
http://www.frenchexperience.com/
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM

I did an SNCF train + hotel package to Lyon, so they do offer those. No tourism help though.

I'm wondering if this might be an expensive choice versus DIY. How would they know your interests, how long you would like to spend in each town/city,etc..

There are websites (Gites de France for example) that list accomodations by department.

A few Michelin Green Guides, a car, and roadmaps and on your way.

Is it the co-ordination that bothers you, the time required, the language, the lack of information?
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM

Not sure I understand you hesitation of "booking everything a la carte" - as the one poster says there are some travel agents that specialize but they are not cheap. I think too many agents might do this but really have no idea of the places your were being booked. Maybe either do a tour or let this board help you out? I think if you post an itinerary you will get feedback on the details. Or just go with Paris to Nice, give a time frame and let the posters suggest some in-between stops.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:52 AM

There are individuals, myself included, on the SlowTravel website, who offer this kind of service, but you'll pay by the hour and it won't be cheap, and you'll spend a fair amount of time giving them the precise information they'll need to make your trip perfect for you. That is an alternative, though.

This isn't a complicated trip, though. I'm not sure why you're hesitant to do it yourself.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I'm not hesitant to do this myself. I'm planning on making up the itinerary. I guess what I'm looking for is a booking agent so that I can book the hotels from one source. I have found that sometimes booking everything separately on the internet puts you on the bottom of the "guest hierarchy" once you get to the hotel.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM

I don't see how you're going to find a single source to book all your hotels, unless you pick a chain hotel.

And you can actually phone hotels to make reservations - it's not obligatory to use the internet. Phoning is much more likely to raise your status on the "guest hierarchy", too.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:13 PM

Any travel agent will go on his screen and book hotels where you want to go and take a commission for doing it.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 12:55 PM

If you just want to book hotels yourself, there are certainly websites where you can do that -- at least in any moderate sized city (eg, hotels.com, expedia, etc). Such booking sites aren't going to get you any perks at the hotel, that's for sure. Even if you book one particular company (eg, Accor in France is a good bet to have hotels everywhere), booking them all through the Accor website isn't going to mean anything at any particular one of them, it's still just a reservation booked over the internet, they don't care if you booked two other Accor hotels in other cities.

Now you can try to get some perks by joining Accor's loyalty club first and then they tell the hotel that. I suppose Best Western has the same deal and some hotels in France.

NO booking agent is going to get you any special perks at hotels UNLESS it is a high-end agent booking expensive hotels and who books a lot of rooms there.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes when you are really unsure of a place, or don't want or have the time to explore properties, it is easier just to grab a TA and have that person do it for you. Sure, they get a commission, but that's their job.

No, you do not go to the top of the guest hierarchy list. If you do use an agent, just make sure he or she has actually BEEN to the town and, hopefully, checked out the property.

There have been 2 times I've used a travel agent -- both before the internet -- and then only when (1) I had to book all of the arrangements last minute (airfare and room in Paris from London) and didn't have the time; and (2) a place in Munich when I just couldn't find a place that had everything I needed. The place in Munich was ok -- next to the train station, but an area I used to know very well -- completely uncharming, but functional. The place in Paris was kind of creepy and, frankly, a dump. I nearly freaked out in the middle of the night using the bathroom and discovering in the glaring florescent light what appeared to be blood splatters all over the bathroom tile. The place was undeniably close to Pigale. Actually, the location was pretty good, and certainly interesting flavor. Just not good with blood.

Pre-internet, I'd just buy a ton of books, and pour over them all, weighing and measuring the options; then fax requests.

As St.Cirq suggested, you can do more than book online. For the York property I'm currently looking at, I got all of the information I could get from the web, then called, and followed up with emails directly to the hotel. I ended up getting a (surprisingly) much better deal by email correspondence than I would have by simply clicking on the internet reservation link.