Search

Paris then Burgundy or Loire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris then Burgundy or Loire

Hi All,
We are finalizing our 11day/10night trip to France. We leave in less than a month now!! We have decided on Paris for the first five nights and now trying to determine if it is better to do Loire or Burgundy after that and for how long? We were thinking two nights in each place and then back to Paris for one night (as we are flying out of CDG).
Is it easier to do one before the other? Is two nights in each area sound reasonable?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
ira

Hi S,

2 nights in Burgundy is short, but enough to visit Dijon and Beaune.

Train schedules are at www.voyages-sncf.fr

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

I havent been to the Loire, but LOVED burgundy. I would stay in Dijon or Beaune. The countryside is lovely and the wine is amazing!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM

Another vote for Burgundy & Dijon.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

I think 2 nights in Burgundy is way too short. We recently got back from 2 weeks in Burgundy, and there were a few things we wanted to see, but could not because we ran out of time (we had a couple of "do-nothing" days). I think it takes more time to really see Burgundy than it does to see the Loire. Both areas have lots of castles - the Loire has all the Renaissance castles for the kings, and in Burgundy some Medieval stuff on a smaller scale, but just as interesting, IMO.

If you have never visited either regions, I don't know which one I would recommend for a short trip. I don't think there is any city in the Loire as interesting as Dijon, and Beaune & Auxerre appeal to me more than any similar sized city in the Loire. Those Loire chateaux, however, are fabulous - and so are the gardens at Villandry.

On several occasions, we stayed in Dijon the night before our flight home from CDG, and took the very early TGV direct to CDG in the morning.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

So would you all recommend doing only 1 night in Loire and then 3 nights in Burgundy?
We were then thinking of heading back to Paris for our last night since fly out of CDG. Is that reasonable?
By the way, thanks for all of your help!
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM

I'd just stay in Burgundy, it's truly incredible. Take Stu's advice about the TGV back to Paris.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and Nanbug. So do you recommend skipping that last night back and Paris and spend more time in Burgundy? Then just head staight to airport from Burgundy?
If we skip Paris that last night, should we do 1 night in Loire and 4 nights in Burgundy?
Thanks, Stacey
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM

I would not do 1 night anywhere - especially if you start the day in Paris, and the next day you have to make a very long drive to Burgundy in the afternoon - it's a 3 hr drive. That doesn't give you any time at all to visit a Loire chateau or two.

I would take the TGV to Dijon, and rent a car. Drive to Auxerre, visiting a few sites along the way & stay 2 nights in Auxerre. Then drive back to Dijon, stay 2 nights there, and exlore the sites south of Dijon. If you choose to take the TGV to CDG from Dijon, add a night to Dijon. Others may prefer staying in 1 spot, but we found that some of the most interesting sites were pretty far apart. If you choose to stay in 1 place, Dijon would be the most central. it's a long way to Auxerre/Tanlay/Vezelay from Beaune/Autun/Sully, and vice-versa.

At any toursit office or at many sites, pick up a copy of:
1. La Route des Chateau en Bourgogne du Sud
2. Route des Ducs de Bourgogne
These two pamphlets have details about 34 wonderful chateaux you can visit in the region. We liked, Dree, Cormatin, Tanlay, Ancy le Franc, Fontenay (actually an abbey & other buildings), Bazouches, Commarin, & Sully the most.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM

Ditto Stu's advice...I'd do all 4 nights in Burgundy. Don't miss Beaune. And the abbey church at Vezelay. Dijon is wonderful. You will LOVE it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, stacey - personnaly I love the Loire, but would love to visit burgundy too.

Whatever you choose, leave the other place til another time - you haven't got time to do justice to both!

Have a great time, Ann
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I agree with all the other posts. 2 days in each place is too short to really enjoy it...

Both regions are beautiful and you could easily spend 4 days in one place.

The Loire has and such beautiful chateaux and is closer to Paris - that would be my pick.

But if you really love the wine in Burgundy, go for it! I agree that Vezelay, Beaune, and Dijon are must-sees!

You'll enjoy either place you choose, and have a good reason to get back to France soon to see the place you don't get to on this trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
blh

I agree to pick one or the other. The Loire has the beautiful chateaus, but not very pretty countryside. Burgundy, on the other hand, is beautiful. Our favorite village is Vezelay. Don't miss Fontenay - just fabulous!